• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
harryblakes7

How much is a Rolex service these days?

Just been looking on the 'bay and someone is selling a Rolex Datejust Perpetual with the 1560 movement inside.

He has just paid £650 for an independant jewellers in the UK to service it, fit a new glass and centre wheel............

Is this a bit steep or is it me?? Glass £5, centre wheel £50? Oil for service £15........... Labour £580???????????:wacko:

• Like 1

A Rolex service will be around that mark, but the watch will come back looking like new....ie. all scratches will have been buffed out, crystal polished etc...plus you will get an official piece of paper from Rolex detailing all work done, to keep with the rest of your paper work, box etc. All adds to the provenance.

Just been looking on the 'bay and someone is selling a Rolex Datejust Perpetual with the 1560 movement inside.

He has just paid £650 for an independant jewellers in the UK to service it, fit a new glass and centre wheel............

Is this a bit steep or is it me?? Glass £5, centre wheel £50? Oil for service £15........... Labour £580???????????:wacko:

​Harry, ol' pal, I don't think that you'll get a Rolex crystal for a fiver..........:taunt:

What you will get is what looks like a brand new watch

# You get what you pay for !!!

:wink:

​In that case it doesn`t sound too bad, time for me to start saving up, my pair deserve it...

RolexDSC_0364_zps803ea90f.gif

BTW, I don`t suppose anyone knows how much Rolex would charge for an Air-King bracelet link? 

Edited by mach 0.0013137

£410 is the current recommended price for a basic Rolex service, but there is a 25% premium on any model over 20 years old (vintage - pah!).

What's the glass in that model? Even a Plexi won't be cheap from Rolex, but the Sapphire is about £250 if memory serves.

TBH as daft as it sounds, anyone using Rolex to service a Rolex needs their head testing. I used to sell them, and I wouldn't touch their service centre with a 10 foot pole; the work is exceptional but not really any better than a skilled independent. Plus it's  a ridiculous turnaround time, it takes something like 4 months to put one through them.

• Like 1

Interesting, I was in the Rolex service centre in Singapore and they had a viewing gallery of sorts where you could see them working of various watches, no pictures were allowed inside, and the working area could only be described as clinical, I'm guessing that for an independent reproduce those conditions he would have to spend a few quid and in turn that will be passed on to the customer so wouldn't be that cheap either.

SL270375_zps65n4yumq.jpg

Just out of curiosity as at work I'm more used to seeing something priced by the hour so hourly rate rather than just a lump sum. How many hours would it take to completely strip say my GMT to its component parts, clean, replace any worn parts, refurb the case, bracelet etc and then reassemble it ????? So £500 might sound a lot but it depends on how many hours it takes as to whether it's vfm.

• Like 1

Omega charged me £360 to completely refurb my Omega PO with a 2500 coaxial movement.  I thought this was a bit steep but the comment above makes me tend to think it was quite good value. 

Interesting, I was in the Rolex service centre in Singapore and they had a viewing gallery of sorts where you could see them working of various watches, no pictures were allowed inside, and the working area could only be described as clinical, I'm guessing that for an independent reproduce those conditions he would have to spend a few quid and in turn that will be passed on to the customer so wouldn't be that cheap either.

The watchmaker I use has just given up his Rolex accreditation as they wanted him to spend £40k on tools and machines which he already had!  It's not cheap at all, but if you're any good and can turn a good level of work, it's a good living. 

The gear they were trying to push on him was just updated machinery which he thought was unnecessary. He's still paying off £15k worth of Omega tools when they demanded the same last year.

As you mention, his workshop is just a white-room with tools on the walls, spotlessly clean and sterile looking. I'd assume most good watchmakers will work in the same conditions, a spec of dust is all it takes to bugger up a decent watch.

• Like 1

The watchmaker I use has just given up his Rolex accreditation as they wanted him to spend £40k on tools and machines which he already had!  It's not cheap at all, but if you're any good and can turn a good level of work, it's a good living. 

The gear they were trying to push on him was just updated machinery which he thought was unnecessary. He's still paying off £15k worth of Omega tools when they demanded the same last year.

As you mention, his workshop is just a white-room with tools on the walls, spotlessly clean and sterile looking. I'd assume most good watchmakers will work in the same conditions, a spec of dust is all it takes to bugger up a decent watch.

So how long does it take to give it the full job, a day, two or more. As i said I'm just curious to sort of give it a rough hourly rate. I assume most will use that as a guide to the eventual cost.

I get the hourly rate but £600 is still an awful lot for a service, especially if your watch is in good nick going in. 

Not really my mate got his no date sub done getting on for about ten years ago now and it was over £500 but it did come back looking like a new watch.

If you take the £650 charge and take off the VAT and assume the AD takes a cut and assume it's an 8 man hour job then around £50 an hour for a highly skilled and manufacturer trained watchmaker doesn't sound bad. 

After all how much does your local garage charge by the hour to fix your car ?

The AD makes next to nothing, Rolex do make their watchmakers buy new tools periodically even if not needed which adds into the charge. If I had a newer model or a rare model I would use Rolex , if I had an older model airking or precision I'd use watch doctors. 

On a side note I'm off to Rolex UK HQ in July for some training. I'm very impressed to hear they have their own moat.

I get the hourly rate but £600 is still an awful lot for a service, especially if your watch is in good nick going in. 

Not really my mate got his no date sub done getting on for about ten years ago now and it was over £500 but it did come back looking like a new watch.

I get the value of your watch is tired but less so if tidy. Put simply before you send it to Role you need to scruff it up a little then the service is vfm. 

I think you'd struggle to put a number on an hourly rate Bond.

Last time I asked, my watchmaker reckoned he could strip service anything from a single watch to eight or more watches in a day, but then there is also time spent timing and testing. Bear in mind that incorporates all sorts of brands as well as quartz/auto calibres.

On top of that, a good 2-4 hours goes into refinishing the case and bracelet (far less for just a case if the watch is on a strap).

There is then re-casing and pressure testing. 

• Like 1

It's an unfortunate fact that part of owning these types of watch is that servicing costs from the manufacturer are always going to be pretty pricey but my experience has always been that the quality of work is worth it and here I'm not saying that good Independents aren't as good, as they are, but for the layman sourcing a good independent isn't easy, there are some real cowboys out there.

My experiences with both Rolex and Omega, especially Omega's vintage section is that the service and work can be outstanding and the value added to the watch is well worth it...

It was a plexi glass by the way on the watch............ hands looked dull and marked...........also it appears not to be an "official" Rolex service agent. Just the guarantee from the Jewellers with no Rolex accreditation or branding.........

I had an old Tudor which i put into a "Rolex" Goldsmiths for a service about 6 years ago, it came back looking great!! But the glass steamed up when i was washing my hands, i used to go swimming in it before...............cost me £200 for the privilege........ Should have done it myself but was nervous incase i could not get any parts..........

It just struck me as dear as it's not a chronograph or anything.......... Yes i appreciate your looking at £600 if your sending it back to Rolex themselves but that is not the case in this instance................

In the recent past a friend of mind had her 20+ year old Rollie completely overhauled and because of sentimental value had it done through Rolex.  Let's just say it cost rather more than £600.  It did look excellent afterwards.

Rolex has built its brand on perceived quality, desireability and possibly the highest brand name recognition of any watch maker (except maybe Seiko) and a look at current RRPs on new models tells you everything about where they are at, so servicing costs are going to refect this too, whatever the actual cost of the parts and labour.  It's the same principle on which Mercedes-Benz and BMW operate.

Besides, Rolex has to buy alot of green and yellow paint...:tongue:

16636979000_f22c5221bd_b.jpg

TBH as daft as it sounds, anyone using Rolex to service a Rolex needs their head testing. I used to sell them, and I wouldn't touch their service centre with a 10 foot pole; the work is exceptional but not really any better than a skilled independent. Plus it's  a ridiculous turnaround time, it takes something like 4 months to put one through them.

I was quoted roughly £600 for my 1977 Oyster (I did mention the mainspring sounded like it went "boiiing" while on my wrist!) but of course they needed to inspect the watch for a final quote, but the turnaround time was currently 2 weeks, that was just 2 months ago...........which reminds me I must get around to sending it off to them. :)

So turnaround seems lightening fast at the moment.

Interesting thread...i recently read on the dark side of a Longines GMT Conquest which required a full service new crown, new crystal, new seals and was returned from Longines themselves fully brushed polished and looking like a new watch and running perfectly. It was even sent back fully wrapped in special film and in a Longines travel case. The total cost was said to be £175 why should a Rolex or Omega cost more apart from the fact its a posher name?  

Edited by Nigelp

Interesting thread...i recently read on the dark side of a Longines GMT Conquest which required a full service new crown, new crystal, new seals and was returned from Longines themselves fully brushed polished and looking like a new watch and running perfectly. It was even sent back fully wrapped in special film and in a Longines travel case. The total cost was said to be £175 why should a Rolex or Omega cost more apart from the fact its a posher name?  

i wouldnt even say they were posher names

• Like 2

Overheads !!

I was recently working in one place on a machine that was charged out at £65 p/hour, in the current place of works I'm working on an almost identical machine.....costed out at about £45 and hour.

The Boss in the £65 place was driving a pretty much brand new Bentley Continental GT and his Missus had a fully loaded Cayenne, my current manager pitches up in his mothers Fiat 500 and the top man has a two or three year old 318 poverty spec Beemer.

And did you get a cup of coffee while waiting for them do do a bit of very nice gift wrapping and a voucher for freebie in the garden bar of Raffles when you bought your Longines ??

:D

• Like 2