• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Trigger

Watch buying USA. Ebay global shipping.

This is killing me.  :(

I bought a vintage watch from a Stateside Ebay seller and it's coming (I hope) via the global shipping programme.  This system automatically adds customs charges to the amount you pay when you buy it.

Anyway.. the seller was a little slow to ship the watch and now it's in the clutches of the GSP.   Nearly two weeks and it's still on the wrong side of the big puddle.  :(   So far it's been in four cities/towns in three different states.   Florida,  Ohio and now Kentucky.  Making progress on a steady but excrutiating basis.    It's one that will be well worth the wait.

Anyone else ever bought via this programme?

Just once, but to be honest these days I don't even look at watches outside the UK.
Although the one I bought using the added customs charges, was a lot cheaper than UK even with charges, and I had the perfect seller, so did make for a good experience. But like yours, the States is massive and the watch seemed to go the long way round. 

For me it was worse going the other way, out to the States. The buyer was a *nob and wanted me to cancel the deal after I'd posted, then moaned about every thing, including how long it took to get to him once it was in America. Done my head in!!

This is what I thought he looked like.

hqdefault.jpg

If a watch is listed using this programme, I walk away.

+1 on that. That GSP is an absolute rip off.

David

Not used GSP but have bought from the USA and delivery is painfully slow. In fairness, it is a large chunk of land and tracking does show it moving from one state to another before finally reaching the area they use for international air freight. Good news is that everything has arrived eventually.

Just once, but to be honest these days I don't even look at watches outside the UK.
Although the one I bought using the added customs charges, was a lot cheaper than UK even with charges, and I had the perfect seller, so did make for a good experience. But like yours, the States is massive and the watch seemed to go the long way round. 

For me it was worse going the other way, out to the States. The buyer was a *nob and wanted me to cancel the deal after I'd posted, then moaned about every thing, including how long it took to get to him once it was in America. Done my head in!!

This is what I thought he looked like.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm sure I asked Mrs Mel to dispose of that photo of me in my " If You're going to San Fransisco" days :to_become_senile:

:russian_roulette:

• Like 1

I once shipped a watch from Texas to U.K. (The buyer wanted an LE Seiko Blue Monster from an eBay seller and the seller would not ship internationally, so I bought the item for him and reshipped.)  Sent the watch via USPS medium flat-rate box and, as I recall,  it did not take very long to reach the recipient.

Edited by normdiaz

Not the US I know,  but I've bought from Mexico and it arrived in less than 48 hours. Why can't that be done from the US?

The GSP is a joke. Used it once, never again, I now automatically dismiss any watch listed as using it. Rip off and it takes forever. Whereas USPS is normally just a couple of days.

Just as a thought. Do we have anyone here on the forum who is based in the USA and has listed on evil bay using the GSP?

I would be interested to know how much their shipping costs were to send the item to the "distribution centre" along with a link to that item.
In that way we could find out by how much we were being ripped off by the bay just on the shipping costs - never mind what the bay thinks our import charges should be.

Can any USA member let us know please?

David

The import charges should only be the 20% VAT (charges on the cost of the watch, shipping and handling).

The import charges should only be the 20% VAT (charges on the cost of the watch, shipping and handling).

Agreed Richard but it would be interesting to know what the break down is when a USA  seller uses the GSP  and sends that item to the distribution centre.
Bearing in mind of course that the seller is being charged by the bay for shipping charges as well.

So I will ask my question again: Can any USA member let us know please and preferably with a link to one of your auctions.

David

Here it is.    Worth the wait.   Bulova Accutron 'Traveler' 2185 (same movement as Astronaut).    My rushed pics don't show too well but it has a smokey brown/gold sunray dial.     Slightly asymmetrical case from top to bottom.    Oddity of lugs at the south and hooded band space at the north.    Eccentricly placed crystal.     

CAM00977.jpg

CAM00976.jpg

CAM00974.jpg

• Like 1

Just as a thought. Do we have anyone here on the forum who is based in the USA and has listed on evil bay using the GSP?

I would be interested to know how much their shipping costs were to send the item to the "distribution centre" along with a link to that item.
In that way we could find out by how much we were being ripped off by the bay just on the shipping costs - never mind what the bay thinks our import charges should be.

Can any USA member let us know please?

David

I'm Florida based and refuse to use this so called service.

Also refuse to purchase using it either.

Have had success contacting a seller and asking them to ship via USPS. Much faster and cheaper

Here it is.    Worth the wait.   Bulova Accutron 'Traveler' 2185 (same movement as Astronaut).    My rushed pics don't show too well but it has a smokey brown/gold sunray dial.     Slightly asymmetrical case from top to bottom.    Oddity of lugs at the south and hooded band space at the north.    Eccentricly placed crystal.     

CAM00977.jpg

CAM00976.jpg

CAM00974.jpg

I like that. Very seventies.

I would be interested to know how much their shipping costs were to send the item to the "distribution centre" along with a link to that item

The shipping charge to the DC is whatever the seller specifies as their domestic P&P charge - so for any auction just look at the 'Shipping within the USA' Shipping fee for the auction together with the GSP shipping fee to deduce the international portion that GSP applies.

The GSP fees aren't that straightforward though... When there is no Import VAT fee to pay on a GSP item (because the item cost is below the £15 threshold), the GSP International Shipping Fee goes up compared to when the same item is shipped with Import VAT (inflated by their service charge...) to pay.

Smoke and mirrors.