• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Books - What Are You Reading - Favourites - Recommendations

Ok, I know I'll turn around in a few years but... how on earth can you people read ebooks*? I can't even read a three page document that comes by email, I have to print it out!

...but then again I never thought I would be able to move away from music hard copies d now it doesn't even cross my mind to buy a physical CD... :bag:

* Is it true that once Amazon remotely deleted Orwell's 1984 from people's Kindles or is that just another conspiracy theory?

I've been using an ereader for a long time now, and the newere ones are just getting better and better. I've just ordered the new Kobo Glo for delivery on release date (1st October).

I do still buy some physical books, but mainly technical books, image heavy books or books that have been signed by the author (this week I've bought a copy of the final book in the Unincorporated series by the Kollin Brothers for my collection, and the Kindle version for reading on my ereader).

Although I buy Kindle books from time to time, I've never actually had a physical Kindle. I simply remove the DRM and then put the books on my Sony (soon to be Kobo) reader.

Books are great, but I work away from home regularly and it's great to be able to take 50 or so books with me at all times. When I finish one book, in a particular genre, I can then choose to read what I 'feel like' next. Choice is good :)

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My recommendation would be 'The Colour of Time' by Dan Jones and Marina Amaral - this is a favourite of mine to just pick up and then realise you've lost an hour or two browsing through the images.

Just started Guy Martin's book 'When you dead, you dead' . (£4.99 for the Kindle version, instead of £20 in the bookshop) I love anything this bloke does, and although only two chapters in, there have

Oh good, perhaps you can then tell us what it's about...

Posted Images

I haven't read anything for a while - catching up on thread reminded me I have the ebook of the Deaver Bond novel somewhere.

There was also mention of Len Deighton earlier in the thread - I can recommend his 9 book series Game / Set / Match, Hook / Line / Sinker and Faith / Hope / Charity.

Really good period Cold War stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, on the 5th volume of the "The lost fleet" space opera. Pretty military oriented, with very credible space battles with all the fleet moves explained and accounted for, as much as other aspects as dealing with morale, fleet politics, etc. The writer used to be a US Navy officer and his experience with stuff like that shows very well on these books.

Just finished Crisis Four by Andy Mcnab. Awesome. Moved straight onto Firewall, same author. Also found out that the film Eschelon due out this year is the adaptation of Firewall. Never heard of the film before today, but then again I do live in the sticks. 335kms west of the middle of nowhere, to be precise :)

Have had three on the go at once for a while now and consequently been making hard work of them however recently finished 'Seventh Troop' (Andy McNab), nearly finished 'The Man Who Cycled The World' (Mark Beaumont), and halfway through 'S.B.S - the inside story of the Special Boat Service' (John Parker).

I have pile of books as high as my ceiling to read but going to stick to a few cycle adventure ones next - 'It's all about the bike' (Rob Penn) and 'Silk Dreams, Troubled Road' (Johnny Bealby)

Currently reading my way through Stephen King's Dark Tower series, initial impressions were not great but have gotten into it now (on book 4!) and am looking forward to finding out whats what.

Also just won a cheap "The Walking Dead" Compendium on ebay in readiness for a graphic gorefest once im done with King's offerings!

Currently reading my way through Stephen King's Dark Tower series, initial impressions were not great but have gotten into it now (on book 4!) and am looking forward to finding out whats what.

Also just won a cheap "The Walking Dead" Compendium on ebay in readiness for a graphic gorefest once im done with King's offerings!

Just a tip but I hope you have read already H. P. Lovecraft? S. King would love to be that good :yes:

Just finished Crisis Four by Andy Mcnab. Awesome. Moved straight onto Firewall, same author. Also found out that the film Eschelon due out this year is the adaptation of Firewall. Never heard of the film before today, but then again I do live in the sticks. 335kms west of the middle of nowhere, to be precise :)

i went through a spate of reading the mcnab series (the fictional ones), i really enjoyed the first few, but from then on they all seemed to follow the same story pattern.

guy used to be in sas now retired. guy gets call from sas for one last job. guy talks about doing the job. guy gets job done. guy goes back to retirement.

i did really enjoy his non fiction books. i cant remember what it was called, but he was stuck behind enemy lines in iraq, must have been really horrible!

Anyways, ive just finished FORGOTTEN VOICES, its a good read about ww1 warfare. its broken down into hundreds of paragraphs from real people who were there at that time, very interesting but very harrowing.

On 11/10/2012 at 21:38, Kutusov said:

Just a tip but I hope you have read already H. P. Lovecraft? S. King would love to be that good :yes:

Thanks - i havnt yet but had previously added "Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft" to my xmas list with the 710, from the reviews it seems like a good place to start?

Thanks - i havnt yet but had previously added "Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft" to my xmas list with the 710, from the reviews it seems like a good place to start?

Yes, I think so! I've read it a long time ago and can't remember exactly what's in what but the impression I was left with is that there is a sort of set mythology to his works but it's not laid down straight away in non of his tales. You have to read a few to get a hold of it. It's a bit like Lord of the Rings... you get to learn it while you read it through. You have all the mythology laid out on Silmarilion but I think that was published latter, maybe even after Tolkien's death.

Anyway, you'll love the Necronomicon. Lovecraft's universe is very interesting!

On a related note - I see the Kindle Paperwhite is now taking preorders.

Since this addresses the main shortcoming of ereaders for me (reading in low lght in bed) I think I might be tempted.

It's about time I got back to reading again, don't want the clutter of physical books.

On a related note - I see the Kindle Paperwhite is now taking preorders.

Since this addresses the main shortcoming of ereaders for me (reading in low lght in bed) I think I might be tempted.

It's about time I got back to reading again, don't want the clutter of physical books.

Just don't know about e-readers yet. Never tried one, though I do spend a bit of time reading off forums on my phone so it's probably the same thing.

What's the paperwhite thing all about?

On 13/10/2012 at 01:40, Phillionaire said:

Just don't know about e-readers yet. Never tried one, though I do spend a bit of time reading off forums on my phone so it's probably the same thing.

What's the paperwhite thing all about?

The earlier model ereaders had a rather greenish / grey hue and looked nothing like reading from paper really.

They were fine in daylight (especially in bright sunlight as completely matt surface) but required an external light source for limited light / dark use.

Meant you ended up running an aux clip on reading light etc (much like clipping one onto a book) which was a bit of a cludge.

These latest generation ones have a whiter appearance and built in persistant back light / luminous screen.

Barnes & Noble also do a back lit reader (I think they were first to market on that front actually).

The paperwhites are out in the US, pre-order state in UK just now - just noticed there is no Amazon Australia though! :eek:

KC-slate-01-lg._V386160817_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007OZO03M/ref=famstripe_cl

Kindles will only read certain formats .prc .azw mobi and PDF I think, there may be others. They will not read epub though Calibre, an excellent free ebook management programme will convert from epub to mobi but not if the book is DRM protected.

Kindles will only read certain formats .prc .azw mobi and PDF I think, there may be others. They will not read epub though Calibre, an excellent free ebook management programme will convert from epub to mobi but not if the book is DRM protected.

Yep Caibre is the answer for pushing your own stash of books onto your Kindle! :)

Ok, so I see it's the same crap as it is with music... something else to research (possibility of hacks and so on) whenever I'll feel the urge to go digital. Getting trapped with formats that are big today but that will be dropped or abandoned as a corporation moves out of the game doesn't sound very appealing when it comes to keep a library...

Plus I always thought that a physical book is a beautiful thing :wub:

I've already got the Kobo Glo.

I've already owned a few of the Sony offerings (PRS-505, 600, 650 and T1) but the light up screen on the Glo far surpasses them all. And it's a little cheaper than the Kindle model, and it allows you to download books in the EPUB format from your local library.

On 12/10/2012 at 21:56, Kutusov said:

Yes, I think so! I've read it a long time ago and can't remember exactly what's in what but the impression I was left with is that there is a sort of set mythology to his works but it's not laid down straight away in non of his tales. You have to read a few to get a hold of it. It's a bit like Lord of the Rings... you get to learn it while you read it through. You have all the mythology laid out on Silmarilion but I think that was published latter, maybe even after Tolkien's death.

Anyway, you'll love the Necronomicon. Lovecraft's universe is very interesting!

Noted, and appreciated! Many Thanks :thumbup:

Ok, so I see it's the same crap as it is with music... something else to research (possibility of hacks and so on) whenever I'll feel the urge to go digital. Getting trapped with formats that are big today but that will be dropped or abandoned as a corporation moves out of the game doesn't sound very appealing when it comes to keep a library...

Plus I always thought that a physical book is a beautiful thing :wub:

Books are indeed beautiful but don't resist the lure of ebooks, they are good as well, and as you imply I'm sure that there are "hacks and so on" to help you through the maze :rolleyes:

As far as formats go, no need to fear being trapped if you have Calibre.,

Thanks for the heads up on "The lost fleet" btw, enjoyed those.

Thanks for the heads up on "The lost fleet" btw, enjoyed those.

You read them already?? I'm still finishing the last volume... You probably already know but there's a follow up: "Lost Fleet - Beyond the Frontier" or something like that. It's still two volumes in so I won't touch it until Campbell finishes the series.

To the honour of our ancestors, Kutusov out. :lol: