• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Books - What Are You Reading - Favourites - Recommendations

JoT

Don't think I could compile a list of my top ten books as I've read and enjoyed too many. It must be said that most of these have been novels of the sci-fi/fantasy genre. One set of books that particularly sticks in my mind is the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (which comprises of: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). They are supposed to be for children (I think) but they are suitable for all ages. My Dad has just read, and thoroughly enjoyed, them and he's in his 70's  . I can't reccommend them highly enough.

Of course the other fantasy trilogy is The Lord Of The Rings - it is a masterwork and, despite numerous attempts, nothing in the genre comes close to it.

I borrowed the first four (?) Harry Potter books from friends and couldn't wait to start the next as soon as I'd finished reading one - though I don't think that the latest (the 5th in the series?) was as good as the others.

As for reference books the Haynes manual for the Toyota Celica was extremely educational when I had my first decent car - it started me on the slippery slope of working on cars at all hours of the day in all weathers (but usually wet) 

I've recently rekindled my interest in photography and the book of Larry Burrows photos simply entitled Vietnam is well worth a look at; if only because it shows how awful War is (if there was ever any doubt)!

Most of John Wyndhams

Most of H.G. Wells

Antonia Frasers.......Cromwell, Our Chief of Men

The Cruel Sea

HMS Ulysess, by Alistair MacLean

Pickwick Papers

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist, by Robert Tressell

The Physics of Immortality, by Frank Tipler

Quietly Flows the Don, by Mikhail Sholokhov

My Early Life, by Winston S Churchill

White Company, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Shakespear's plays

Sense of Freedom..............Jimmy Boyle

Wilfred Owen was another I did at school. Great poem, but can't remember name.....

If I should die, think only this of me

That there will be some part of a field

That is forever England

Apologies if this is wrong-I can't remember 15 years back!

At the moment i'm reading Karate Do-My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi. Not that i'll be able to do karate, but it's interesting learning its origins.

Sargon said:

pqtips - The good news is that the Lord of the Rings trilogy is only 3 books, not six so get reading it's well worth it!

I forgot to add that I did acheive my mission and finished it two weeks before going to see film 1 and the bored the 710 silly pointing out all the bit they didn't include. I was being a bit fecietious about the 6 books bit as it is technically 3 books containing two books each, but that's for the nerds.

Speaking of which have you seen how many JRR web sites there are?! 

I was most upset they cut "the cleansing of the shire" off the end of the film.

Did he film it and drop it or did he just miss it out, anyone know?

Am getting the complete dvd set when it's released.

Anyone into Terry Pratchett?

Just finished Theif of time, excellent concept, how the hell he thought of that god only knows.

I feel a bit left out here, the last fiction book I read was probably at school, East of Eden, Steinbeck, I am sure I am missing out However I am a voracious reader on a never ending quest for more general knowledge, probaby get through about 2 books per week. Currently I am reading :-

Ghost Riders (Richard Grant) Travels With Amercian Nomads.

Waltzing With A Dictator (Raymond Bonner) American foreign policy in the Phillipines.

The Journeyman (Michael Murray) Autobiography of a pro boxer.

The Spanish Civil War (Antony Beevor) What was that all about 

I've only just discovered Pratchett

Its a wonderfull world Pratchett has created......you can relly loose yourself in it ....his observations of life are spot on....If you can read them in order as some stories reference others...youve made a good start with Colour of magic...

Jason

• 8 months later...

Just thought I would share a couple of good books Ive read recently...

The first was a book called 'London' by Edward Rutherford...A facinating novel based around the city of London through the ages, from pagan times through to the present day following a few families through good times and bad...The most interesting things were how present day places got their names, all the historical facts and places are real history but the sub plots are fiction...Great read, hes also done others called 'Sarum' ( Canterbury) and 'Ruskia' and 'Dublin' all along similar themes..

Up next was 'The Da'Vinci Code' by Dan Brown, again facinating true hisory mixed with a good story....If your a strict Catholic you wont like it!!

smile.gif

Read the Da Vinci Code just before Christmas - a ripping yarn but the "true history" is a bit stretched without a doubt!

In a different vein my wife just persuaded me to read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", written in the person of a 15 year-old boy with Asperger's - couldn't put it down, to coin a phrase - recommended. Anyone else read it - what did you think?

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Alysons reading that at the moment, Ill give it a go after shes done....

As to the 'true history' connections, try reading a book called the

'Holy Blood-Holy Grail' by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh,you will be surprised how true it all is wink2.gif

Edited by jasonm

Read both 'Holy Blood-Holy Grail' by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and

'The Da'Vinci Code' by Dan Brown, both good fun.

If you want to find out more about how myths are created read Jesus and the lost Goddess, by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandhy wink.gif , Da Vinci Code should make a good movie though! biggrin.gif

Read "Citizen Soldiers" again last week - just an awe-inspiring book that furthers my resolve to not complain about my time in Iraq. One criticism I would make is that the book is unabashedly pro-American, to the exclusion of other Allies. I think Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe servicemen are quoted more than British servicemen.

Of course, Mr. Ambrose clearly states up front that the book is written as the voice of the American GI and the typical GI never saw anyone other than German soldiers...

Still wading through "The Arab Mind" and my English-Arabic language book, too. Wahed, ithnyan, thalatha...

• 3 months later...

Might as well keep the theme going with some more

She - H. Rider Haggard

A Perfect Spy - John Le Carre (Any Le Carre, but this is his best IMO)

Gold Mine - Wilbur Smith

The Voyage of Argo - Apollonius of Rhodes

The Complete Richard Hannay - John Buchan (All of Buchan's Hannay novels in one book, brilliant)

Immortal Poems of the English Language - Oscar Williams (Editor)

Jock of the Bushveld - Sir Percy Fitzpatrick (Jock is a Bull Terrier)

King Henry V - William Shakespeare (not his best, but .... Agincourt!)