• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Books - What Are You Reading - Favourites - Recommendations

JoT

I don't read much fiction and when I do it's mostly lightweight stuff. I'm not sure I can even think of 10 fiction books I've read since I was a kid! But here goes:

Any of the J.R.R. Tolkien books

Macbeth - William Shakespeare

Lots of various Michael Crichton

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

The Stand - Stephen King

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemmingway

The Snows of Kilimanjaro - Ernest Hemmingway

only nine and I'm struggling!

Serge Brussolo - Le carnaval de fer (a sort of SF horror)

Frank Herbert - Dune

Isaac Asimiov - Foundation

Haruki Murakami - Dance, dance, dance (I like his style)

Jerome K. Jerome - Three men in a boat (the story with the cheese thing... )

I read mostly SF.

adrian said:

Serge Brussolo - Le carnaval de fer (a sort of SF horror)

Frank Herbert - Dune

Isaac Asimiov - Foundation

Haruki Murakami - Dance, dance, dance (I like his style)

Jerome K. Jerome - Three men in a boat (the story with the cheese thing... )

I read mostly SF. 

I like the Foundation trilogy

Its no use asking me for a top ten I just can`t do it so.....

Catch-22

Dune

The Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy series

Dirk Gently`s Holistic Detective Agency

The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul

The Hobbit

LOTR

To Say Nothing of the Dog ( Connie Willis)

The Last of the Mohicans ( James Fanimore Cooper)

Terry Pratchett`s Discworld series (he`s no Douglas Adam`s however)

LOTR

SEIZE THE NIGHT (DEAN R KOONTZ)

FEAR NOTHING (DEAN R KOONTZ)

HIS DARK MATERIALS (TRILOGY)

THE RED DWARF OMNIBUS (BETTER THAN LIFE)

THE ANNE RICE VAMPIRE CHRONICLES

I AM LEGEND (MADE INTO A CRAP MOVIE CALLED THE OMEGA MAN)

PARIAH (GRAHAM MASTERTON)

THE BEACH (ALEX GARLAND)

HITCHIKER GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

TRAINSPOTTING

CREED (JAMES HERBERT)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to see Antonia Frasers book....Cromwell our Chief of Men, made into a film that showed what Cromwell was really about, and what he really stood for, and not the erroneous perceptions that some people seem to have of him

I would argue that he is the finest Englishman that ever lived so far

• 2 years later...

Being 32 years old, I am a bit of a freak (at least by my age standard).

I enjoy doing strange thinks, like collecting watches, cooking, and so on, and so on, and reading.

Most of my friends don´t understand it, but I like to read, if history, whatever I can get my hands on, and novels, well, I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez, don´t know if anyone read something from him, and don´t know how good the translations are, but he has a way of writing that just gets me into the places he is describing, it´s almost as if I am looking at the characters.

Other authors I enjoy are Clive Barker, who has a bit of Garcia Marquez way of describing things, the classics of course, Alan Poe, Homer, Dante, and right now I am reading Stephen Kings´ "the dark tower". Has anyone read it? I´m way into the 4th book, 3 more to go, and I am devouring them, one after the other. Good thing I waited til all were out, coz I hate waiting for the next book!

I started reading Clive Barkers´ "Abarat", part 1, part 2, and I am hating him for taking so long to publish books 3, 4 and 5.

So, what are you into?

I've had a reading habit since I was about 10. I read about an hour every night, helps me forget about daily "stuff".

All kinds of things, bit like you but I find it harder and harder to find new authors. I tried a lot of the classics, some work for me some don't (I suppose that's pretty average). I find I get phase of reading fiction then I get a bit bored by it and switch to non-fiction for a while then back again.

I read Stepehn King back in the 80's but his stuff seemed to start getting more and more weird so I gave up. I liked the Flashman papers and go back to them occasionally. Carl Hiassen is good as there's a good stream of humour running through his stuff and Lee Child for thrillers. At the moment I'm having a go at Fu Manchu as I got some books from the collection of an old boy who died recently. I've also had a flurry of second world war and local history as I 've been working on my family history and didn't know much about my Dad and nothing about my Grandad andthat has been a very surprising journey.

I read a lot of history and I tend to read up a lot if I'm going anywhere so I can pick up on the history and art, buildings, geography of where I'm going so I can get the most out of the places I visit.

However, as I'm cruising toward retirement now I find that I am wanting to stop reading about places and go and travel more. We'll see.

Cheers

Bri

I love reading and travelling a lot I've plenty of time on planes to do it. Getting through the average book in about 3 days was a killer as most of my luggage on a 3 week job would be books, thank goodness for electronic books. I now read them on my Blackberry so I can have 10 books in my pocket, bliss.

If you like history and a good story Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is brilliant, covers three generations of a group of families and covers the establishment of the US, the second world war and today. All interwoven with real events and characters. In fact anything by Stephenson is great. He's now done a prequel trilogy to cryptonomicon called Quicksilver, highly recommended.

Other fave authors are Iain Banks, his fiction and SF he writes as Iain M Banks. Jon Courtenay Grimwood, John Brunner, Larry Niven, Jeff Noon, Stephen Barnes, Louis Boujold and loads more I cant remember.

cheers

Andy

Another reader here - usually have about 4 books on the go at a time as I need to switch between them dependent on the mood I'm in. Read pretty much anything fiction/non fiction except for sloppy stuff and biographies. Fave authors include James Elroy, Edwin Torres, Joseph Wambaugh and Irvine Welsh.

Alasdair

Edited by Alas