• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JoT

Books - What Are You Reading - Favourites - Recommendations

On 23/11/2019 at 19:07, BondandBigM said:

As said previously we have a local library bus which we make good use of. I usually order books but the driver occasionally picks a couple or three he thinks we might like. 

This was one of his lucky dips from last week 

2019-11-23_06-45-12

Read it in one sitting today. 

Stephen Leather is a great writer, i`ve read a fair number of his myself.First one i ever read was called the dice man, someone at work lent it to me and after that i made sure to look out for his other stuff.

"The Greatest Knight" by Thomas Asbridge

Tells the story of the remarkable life of William Marshall who served no less than five English monarchs.

Little would be known of Marshall if it weren't for a French scholar who, in 1861, stumbled on the only surviving copy of a thirteenth century book on the life of William Marshall (which was probably commissioned by Marshall's son).

Considering that even with the 13th century book direct evidence of his life is quite sparse, Asbridge does a great job bringing together circumstantial evidence to create his book.

A good read.

the-greatest-knight-9781847396419_lg.jpg

Tried reading Ernest Hemingway, but never really "got it". A friend recently recommend,

51zCA0rN65L.jpg

so here goes.

Im a big personal development and psychology fan. I tend to listen on audible though rather than read. Recently watched a couple of Jordan Petersons interview (including his visits on Joe Rogans podcast, which is a great show). So im reading his book 12 rules for life which is great. As a non religious person it gave me new found respect for the bible too which is nice.

Peterson_12-Rules-for-Life.jpg

• Thanks 1

Churchill: Walking With Destiny

So far so good, condensing Churchill's life into one volume must have taken some effort but seems well done.

Uncorrected_Proof-768x1024.jpg

On 21/01/2020 at 23:03, JRParker said:

Im a big personal development and psychology fan. I tend to listen on audible though rather than read. Recently watched a couple of Jordan Petersons interview (including his visits on Joe Rogans podcast, which is a great show). So im reading his book 12 rules for life which is great. As a non religious person it gave me new found respect for the bible too which is nice.

I saw him live on London last year, very  interesting event, great speaker. He is going through a tough time at present, his wife has cancer, he got hooked on the tranquilizer Clonazepam as a result and is on rehab trying to come off it.

Not very good, written by someone who spent 5 minutes in Submarines and really didn't understand the psyche of the subsurface prisoner, I am struggling to persevere with it.  Not recommended

51IffLpy0uL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Biker
  • Like 1

On 08/02/2020 at 11:12, JoT said:

I saw him live on London last year, very I interesting event, great speaker. He is going through a tough time at present, his wife has cancer, he got hooked on the tranquilizer Clonazepam as a result and is on rehab trying to come off it.

Wow i didnt realise that. So you would say the events are worth attending? Its something im keen to go to, along with the Brian Cox live events.

On 14/04/2004 at 23:02, JoT said:

"Physics and Philosophy“ Werner Heisenberg, I have read this book at least half-a-dozen times; there is something important in here, I am sure of that, but what does it all mean?

Not had a chance to read this one yet, I will certainly be looking out for a copy.

51qNoOjftnL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's fantastically brutal, but utterly brilliant. Snappy, whiplash prose with a plot that makes your head spin - and every character is deeply unpleasant but disturbingly convincing.

Early One Morning by Robert Ryan. Also Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Other than that love Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie and some of Bill Brysons earlier works. 

• Like 1

Warrior to Dreadnought: Warship Design and Development 1860 to 1905 by David K. Brown

Written by a naval architect this is a brilliant book describing the development of warships as the Royal Navy made the transition from wood and sail to steel and steam. It is a fascinating read with plenty of pictures and diagrams. I had always thought that the navy was resistant to change and reactionary but Brown eloquently shows that in fact the Royal Navy was at the forefront of technological changes. As well as details of the ships he also recounts details of naval battles during the period.   

51utFFqyiiL.jpg

World Book Day - just ordered this >

61e4zQGxQkL.jpg

Just downloaded several Hammond Innes, Alistair McLean and Desmond Bagley books to the Kindle for reading in Portugal over the next few weeks...

49630543596_a6308d6f5b_b.jpg

Picked up a couple of Tom Wood books from his “Victor the Assassin” series 

Victor the Assassin is a series of thriller novels by English novelist Tom Wood. Victor is an assassin with no history, no family, no surname. He lives alone, he works alone, he takes out his target and gets paid.

The Victor the Assassin series began in 2011 with The Killer (aka The Hunter in the UK). The series is currently ongoing. Below is a list of Tom Wood’s Victor the Assassin books in order of when they were first published (which is also their chronological order):

Great read if you like this sort of thing.

I consider myself a great connoisseur of  the fantasy genre.  I have read many books and I grew very picky on them, so not every fantasy pleases me. I'd like to give a few of my favourite ones here:

- The Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb. This is a fantastic and extremely well written story which falls far behind the classical Dark Lord and destined hero / prophecy.  I would recommend Robin Hobb's book to everyone in search of an exquisite book, I am now reading The Ship of magic of the same author.

- French or Italian reader? Get La Horde du Contrevent - Alain Damasio (L'orda del vento in italian). One of my favourite books ever, truly a hidden gem. Pity never made it into english but the challenges of the translation are probably a bit too much. French and Italian are after all way more similar than they are to English.
  If you are Italian and want more book message me privately, I'll give you a few books that everyone should read!

- The stormlight archive - Brandon Sanderson. Ongoing series, but it did really please me with the story, the depth of the world and the characters. I like books where I get to know the characters and understand them. This book will do that!

- His Dark materials - Don't think I should say much about it, I really enjoyed Philip Pullman's book and I would totally recommend it to anyone. The movie is a pile of junk, I'm sorry if you had to watch it.

- Dresden Files series - Urban Fantasy by Jim Butcher. So many books, I am far beyond but I love what I read so far. Every 3/4 books I pick one of this and I always enjoy it.

- Kingkiller chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss. Amazing, and one of my best read ever. Can't recommend it enough.

Now that you know what I like, please.. have some suggestions for me :)

@Varish I haven't read any fantasy books so can't help with suggestions! 

When I was younger I read quite a bit of science fiction if you want to branch out that way

Isaac Asimov - "The Foundation Trilogy",  "I, Robot"

Philip K. Dick - "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" 

Jules Verne - "De la terre à la lune", although I read the English translation

• Like 1

After reading and enjoying the classic "To kill a mockingbird" found out only the other day on a quiz show that there was a follow up book "Go set a watchman" so now about to start that after picking it up on eBay for a couple of quid , hopefully it will be as enjoyable as the first 

I have ordered some books from AbeBooks UK

Practical Shaft Sinking by Francis Donaldson published in 1912 - I am getting a print on demand copy which will do for me

Shaft Sinking Under Difficult Conditions by J Riemer published in 1907 - also a print on demand facsimile

The Drilling of Rock by K. McGregor published in 1967

Blasting Practice published by ICI in 1940

Proceedings of the Symposium on Shaft sinking and tunnelling published in 1960 by Institute of Mining Engineers

Some mining history should pass the time and keep me amused :to_become_senile: :laugh:

Given that Amazon will not be shipping books for the foreseeable future I have been through the bookcase to see what I have yet to read:

• Natasha's Dance by Orlando Figes
  • The Story of De Beers by Hedley Chilvers
  • The Great Fire of London 1666 by The Worshipful Company of Firefighters
  • A History of The English Speaking People Since 1900 by Andrew Roberts
  • The Devil's Alliance, Hitler's Pact With Stalin 1939 - 1941 by Roger Moorhouse
  • Oppenheimer and Son by Anthony Hocking

Should keep me busy

books_1f4da.png