• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JoT

Books - What Are You Reading - Favourites - Recommendations

On 23/11/2019 at 19:07, BondandBigM said:

As said previously we have a local library bus which we make good use of. I usually order books but the driver occasionally picks a couple or three he thinks we might like. 

This was one of his lucky dips from last week 

2019-11-23_06-45-12

Read it in one sitting today. 

Stephen Leather is a great writer, i`ve read a fair number of his myself.First one i ever read was called the dice man, someone at work lent it to me and after that i made sure to look out for his other stuff.

"The Greatest Knight" by Thomas Asbridge

Tells the story of the remarkable life of William Marshall who served no less than five English monarchs.

Little would be known of Marshall if it weren't for a French scholar who, in 1861, stumbled on the only surviving copy of a thirteenth century book on the life of William Marshall (which was probably commissioned by Marshall's son).

Considering that even with the 13th century book direct evidence of his life is quite sparse, Asbridge does a great job bringing together circumstantial and contemporary evidence to create his book.

A good read.

the-greatest-knight-9781847396419_lg.jpg

Tried reading Ernest Hemingway, but never really "got it". A friend recently recommend,

51zCA0rN65L.jpg

so here goes.

Im a big personal development and psychology fan. I tend to listen on audible though rather than read. Recently watched a couple of Jordan Petersons interview (including his visits on Joe Rogans podcast, which is a great show). So im reading his book 12 rules for life which is great. As a non religious person it gave me new found respect for the bible too which is nice.

Peterson_12-Rules-for-Life.jpg

• Thanks 1

Churchill: Walking With Destiny

So far so good, condensing Churchill's life o tp one volume must have taken some effort but seems well done.

Uncorrected_Proof-768x1024.jpg

On 21/01/2020 at 23:03, JRParker said:

Im a big personal development and psychology fan. I tend to listen on audible though rather than read. Recently watched a couple of Jordan Petersons interview (including his visits on Joe Rogans podcast, which is a great show). So im reading his book 12 rules for life which is great. As a non religious person it gave me new found respect for the bible too which is nice.

Peterson_12-Rules-for-Life.jpg

I saw him live on London last year, very I interesting event, great speaker. He is going through a tough time at present, his wife has cancer, he got hooked on the tranquilizer Clonazepam as a result and is on rehab trying to come off it.

Not very good, written by someone who spent 5 minutes in Submarines and really didn't understand the psyche of the subsurface prisoner, I am struggling to persevere with it.  Not recommended

51IffLpy0uL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Biker
  • Like 1

On 08/02/2020 at 11:12, JoT said:

I saw him live on London last year, very I interesting event, great speaker. He is going through a tough time at present, his wife has cancer, he got hooked on the tranquilizer Clonazepam as a result and is on rehab trying to come off it.

Wow i didnt realise that. So you would say the events are worth attending? Its something im keen to go to, along with the Brian Cox live events.

On 14/04/2004 at 23:02, JoT said:

"Physics and Philosophy“ Werner Heisenberg, I have read this book at least half-a-dozen times; there is something important in here, I am sure of that, but what does it all mean?

Not had a chance to read this one yet, I will certainly be looking out for a copy.

17 minutes ago, JRParker said:

Wow i didnt realise that. So you would say the events are worth attending? Its something im keen to go to, along with the Brian Cox live events.

I thought it was good, he is in a bad way now mind you, I don't think he will be on the road again for a while

51qNoOjftnL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's fantastically brutal, but utterly brilliant. Snappy, whiplash prose with a plot that makes your head spin - and every character is deeply unpleasant but disturbingly convincing.