• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Books - What Are You Reading - Favourites - Recommendations

14 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I've been inside a T34 and I can only imagine it as being hell. They are not big. From a design point of view they are very interesting. My pals dad was part of a Sherman crew, and he once told me of the reality of manning them under battle conditions, which was a mixture of terror, adrenaline, vomit, and sh!t.

The allies (US and Russia) vastly out produced the Germans even though the tanks one on one were no match.

Weren't the T34 really basic inside and lacking any sort of refinement??

Both the Tiger and Panther were over engineered and broke down a lot even though, especially the Tiger, had almost mythical status.

Imagine coming up against a Tiger when your own Cromwell or Sherman was hopelessly outgunned and you and your enemy both knew it??

It wasn't till the British shoehorned a 17 pounder tank killing gun into a Sherman turret that they could start taking out the big German cats.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just started Guy Martin's book 'When you dead, you dead' . (£4.99 for the Kindle version, instead of £20 in the bookshop) I love anything this bloke does, and although only two chapters in, there have

One of my favourites.  

I`ve been having problems with floaters in my eyes so reading books has become a wee bit challenging.The last one I read, which I finished a few months ago, was Leo Tolstoy`s War & Peace. I have t

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, andyclient said:

That’s a shame, read a few Orwell books and really enjoyed them , pity this one doesn’t live up to his work 

It's not his work, that's where it falls down.:)

• Like 1
On 30/03/2020 at 20:40, WRENCH said:

Read this today, very disappointing,

51T-FQy0RqL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You have to wonder about the mindset of an author who thought writing this was a good idea!!

• 1 month later...

The General Rule by Vivian Linacre

A "guide to customary weights and measures" comprising a collection of tables, articles and notes to explain modern use, origins, evolution and culture of the Imperial System. On reading you realise what a rich system it was and how in many ways it was more intuitive than the SI system. Speed for example, distance and time are compatible because they both have duodecimal in common: 1 mph = 1,056 in/min = 88 ft per minute.

Then there is a measurement for beer, today we have 50 litre (11 gallons) and 30 litre kegs

In the past we had:

firkin = 9 gallons

kilderkin = 2 firkins or 18 gallons

barrel = 4 firkins or 36 gallons

hogshead = 6 firkins or 54 gallons

Makes perfect sense :biggrin: 

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

xpd.jpg

As late as the 1970's, I've measured field sites with these.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunter's_chain

I used a set of those to complete a field survey as part of my degree, a first year surveying project, 1991. And the plan we produced was hand drawn with pen and letraset for the title, legend etc. 

Edited by DJJazzyJeff
On 18/06/2020 at 14:11, WRENCH said:

none of the films capture the psychological menace of the original book.

41FoimYa79L.jpg

I Have White Fang on my bookshelf, not seen this one though.

1 hour ago, Biker said:

I Have White Fang on my bookshelf, not seen this one though.

Good radio 4 play from the book, there's 4 parts in total, all on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read 5 of Simon Becketts books, quite good and British based, except the one where he went to the body farm in Tennessee.

• Like 1

The Weights and Measures of England by R.D. Connor

Surprisingly interesting - didn't know that grains of barley were so important in the history of measurement of weight and length!

15491983303.jpg

That sort of stuff always captures my curiosity.  I read the book of Longitude which was even more fascinating to me as I used to teach navigation systems and concepts.

Longitude By Dava Sobel

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Biker said:

That sort of stuff always captures my curiosity.  I read the book of Longitude which was even more fascinating to me as I used to teach navigation systems and concepts.

I have the paperback version, haven't read it yet, on the list for later this year - the job sounds interesting!

I think Connor above also co-wrote the Weights and Measure of Scotland although it wasn't published until 2004 possibly after his death

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 18:13, JoT said:

The Weights and Measures of England by R.D. Connor

Surprisingly interesting - didn't know that grains of barley were so important in the history of measurement of weight and length!

15491983303.jpg

This has been really interesting so far, a lot more respect for traditional measures and the logic behind them, reading about the rod/perch/pole and the acre. Lots of local variations in Anglo Saxon times

• 3 weeks later...

Was lucky enough to buy a joblot of Andy Mcnab books today and a couple of Chris Ryan's all for a tenner ... Bargain :clap: they all run in sequence but the first book of the collection was not there so I bought that one from the bay ,, should keep me busy for a while

IMG_20200805_184219.thumb.jpg.7b52b7b916fb657f5ea961737c59b496.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I can’t really contribute much to the section in terms of practical projects, because I don’t have a great array of practical or DIY skills.   I am amazed at some of the things I see people making, even the things I don’t understand like @Roger the Dodger‘s project.  I hope the following is acceptable, if not I’ll be happy to remove it. 

Back in 2011 I went to Spain to walk the Camino to Santiago, the 480 mile pilgrim route across the north of the country.  I had never written a diary or journal before (or done a major long-distance hike), and all unplanned I bought a notebook and a couple of pens at Stansted airport while waiting for my flight to Biarritz.  I hadn’t expected to write much but day after day I began to fill that notebook. It took me a long time to write it up, doing extra research and adding in bits to my original narrative, but eventually I ended up with 65,000 words – much, much more than I had ever imagined!  It was my first attempt, and I needed to do it in order to prove to myself that I could write.  I never published it, but I still send copies (PDF) to friends and acquaintances who expressed an interest. 

593FDA2E-0812-4EC4-BB99-6433B4C8C02B.thumb.jpeg.74f984ac27330ba8b5a0db64c280296c.jpeg

Over the last few years I have been spending time in Cyprus, and I have rather fallen in love with the place.  I now go there every Christmas and New Year for two weeks, and I have been at other times as well. I usually hire a car and get out and about visiting places of interest and recording my ideas on a little handheld voice recorder.  ( I still have notebooks but they are less practical) 

Anyway, now that I am going through the process of retirement I am trying to launch a modest second career as a travel writer.  With typical bad timing, I haven’t been able to do any travelling this year, but I have devoted quite a lot of time to reading and research, and already have about 20,000 words for my book on Cyprus.  It’s not a history, it’s not a tourist guide, it’s not a travel narrative – it’s a little bit of everything really.  I have a couple of ideas for a title but I’m keeping those to myself at the moment. 

The intention is to follow it with others. I have a scheme afoot for a road trip around the mediaeval cities of Spain, following the history of the Reconquest in the steps of El Cid.  I also have an idea of writing about the lesser known historical and archaeological sites around the Mediterranean, as well as possibly a book following in the steps of a typical 18th century Grand Tour. 

That’s about it...for now!

763C4C56-4C83-4D8B-BD5B-A78358D25DCC.thumb.jpeg.b6fdc28c1ac5ab9b60d838dd19d00beb.jpeg

Edited by AVO
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@AVO I have moved it to the book thread it should get more hits

I Look forward to seeing your next volume on here.

I have always had the desire to write a book but on what I have no idea!

Have you looked at getting an ISBN number for The Brightness of Morning and get it listed on Amazon?

• Thanks 1