• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JoT

Books - What Are You Reading - Favourites - Recommendations

none of the films capture the psychological menace of the original book.

41FoimYa79L.jpg

On 18/06/2020 at 14:11, WRENCH said:

none of the films capture the psychological menace of the original book.

41FoimYa79L.jpg

I Have White Fang on my bookshelf, not seen this one though.

1 hour ago, Biker said:

I Have White Fang on my bookshelf, not seen this one though.

Good radio 4 play from the book, there's 4 parts in total, all on YouTube.

I prefer to read as my mind wanders when I am listening to audio books or plays.  But thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If you like bike riding, I've just finished Mike Carter's: One man & his bike, detailing his journey around the coast of Britain & really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Just read 5 of Simon Becketts books, quite good and British based, except the one where he went to the body farm in Tennessee.

• Like 1

The Weights and Measures of England by R.D. Connor

Surprisingly interesting - didn't know that grains of barley were so important in the history of measurement of weight and length!

15491983303.jpg

That sort of stuff always captures my curiosity.  I read the book of Longitude which was even more fascinating to me as I used to teach navigation systems and concepts.

Longitude By Dava Sobel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biker said:

That sort of stuff always captures my curiosity.  I read the book of Longitude which was even more fascinating to me as I used to teach navigation systems and concepts.

I have the paperback version, haven't read it yet, on the list for later this year - the job sounds interesting!

I think Connor above also co-wrote the Weights and Measure of Scotland although it wasn't published until 2004 possibly after his death

All the Sherlock Holmes stories... the 4 novels and all the short stories. I've read them all so many times over 50 years, I think I can repeat them all verbatim...:thumbsup:

On 01/07/2020 at 18:13, JoT said:

The Weights and Measures of England by R.D. Connor

Surprisingly interesting - didn't know that grains of barley were so important in the history of measurement of weight and length!

15491983303.jpg

This has been really interesting so far, a lot more respect for traditional measures and the logic behind them, reading about the rod/perch/pole and the acre. Lots of local variations in Anglo Saxon times

Was lucky enough to buy a joblot of Andy Mcnab books today and a couple of Chris Ryan's all for a tenner ... Bargain :clap: they all run in sequence but the first book of the collection was not there so I bought that one from the bay ,, should keep me busy for a while

IMG_20200805_184219.thumb.jpg.7b52b7b916fb657f5ea961737c59b496.jpg

• Like 1