• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Books - What Are You Reading - Favourites - Recommendations

JoT

15 hours ago, Colin Belfast said:

This is a great read. All about the record long distance bombing raid from Ascension Island during the Falklands war. 66060e8cd492503496532d1823961e83.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Yep, I've read that and it was so good it's on my 'Read again' list,  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ghost Rider by Neil Peart , after the deaths of his Wife and only child in quick succession , he put his Band Rush on hold threw a leg over his BMW GS and rode and rode and rode.....sadly Neil is gone now RIP Neil Peart one of if not the greatest drummers in rock n roll.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished Lawrence Block's - Everybody Dies from the Matt Scudder series, brilliant read. If you like Rankin's Rebus books this series is well worth a go.

Switched to something completely different now & reading Nala's World. 

I got these last week and on my retirement presents. The people who gave these to me were obviously listening when I was talking to them about my travel writing ambitions.702D78EA-5A02-40C0-8B93-E6C1E623D878.thumb.jpeg.a162f521bd588e2d17afceaf5f5c50b0.jpeg

BA9A9897-D666-41DE-A6F2-2FCE92856AA3.thumb.jpeg.eacb3dbd04f17df0457ad186cea1f835.jpeg

• Like 2

At the moment I am reading Nomad by James Swallow and then I’ve got A Legacy of Spies lined up by John le Carre and after that Robert Ludlum’s  “the Treadstone exile” 

I do so like a a good spy fiction novel

Finally finishing my Brexit reading, by nearing the end of what seems the definitive view of Britain's historical relationship with Europe and latterly the EU. The lead up to the vote and what happened next. Hard hitting in places and very well written. I have some much needed light reading lined up for when I finish. 

image.png.7c84a74520300438f4fd3ba8dbad0e57.png

On 18/07/2021 at 15:41, Caller. said:

Finally finishing my Brexit reading, by nearing the end of what seems the definitive view of Britain's historical relationship with Europe and latterly the EU. The lead up to the vote and what happened next. Hard hitting in places and very well written. I have some much needed light reading lined up for when I finish. 

image.png.7c84a74520300438f4fd3ba8dbad0e57.png

Do you consider it to be unbiased and fair?  If so I might give it a shot. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Biker said:

Do you consider it to be unbiased and fair?  If so I might give it a shot. :thumbsup:

Yes, very much so. He's an esteemed historian, has a French wife and a Francophile! And he is in the lions den so to speak, as he is Professor Emeritus of French History at Cambridge. He was finally convinced to vote leave, when at a dinner party pre-Brexit, he talked with a remainer nobel prize winning British economist and asked his opinion on what would happen to the economy if we left, he was told that after a period of adjustment, the UK would be just fine, which is the response of nearly all such eminent economists, including Paul Krugman, another anti-Brexit nobel prize winning economist, who has openly expressed his disdain for the hysterical and patently false scaremongering from Cameron's Govt. Osborne and others.

I actually found it a very illuminating read, as he places Brexit in an historical context, not just of post war Europe and Britain's 'decline' (which he regards as more of a myth than anything and explains why), but also for the century before that at least. He considers the post Brexit shenanigans and near constitutional crisis as well as the impact of Covid on Britain's  transition away from the EU and also on the very future of the EU.

It's a very, very, readable book.  I have already re-read a couple of chapters and will read in it's totality again at some stage.   

If you do read  it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. 

7 hours ago, Caller. said:

Yes, very much so. He's an esteemed historian, has a French wife and a Francophile! And he is in the lions den so to speak, as he is Professor Emeritus of French History at Cambridge. He was finally convinced to vote leave, when at a dinner party pre-Brexit, he talked with a remainer nobel prize winning British economist and asked his opinion on what would happen to the economy if we left, he was told that after a period of adjustment, the UK would be just fine, which is the response of nearly all such eminent economists, including Paul Krugman, another anti-Brexit nobel prize winning economist, who has openly expressed his disdain for the hysterical and patently false scaremongering from Cameron's Govt. Osborne and others.

I actually found it a very illuminating read, as he places Brexit in an historical context, not just of post war Europe and Britain's 'decline' (which he regards as more of a myth than anything and explains why), but also for the century before that at least. He considers the post Brexit shenanigans and near constitutional crisis as well as the impact of Covid on Britain's  transition away from the EU and also on the very future of the EU.

It's a very, very, readable book.  I have already re-read a couple of chapters and will read in it's totality again at some stage.   

If you do read  it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. 

Gonna do just that.  Thanks for that.

• Like 1

I still have loads of books that belonged to my mam and dad.  This ones a real eye opener for some of its dated but funny content.                                                                 There's also a chapter on the difficult husband but its obviously a misprint !large.20210725_111411.jpg.50a31e0fe33a8674675e418a9dcd2447.jpglarge.20210725_111544.jpg.e2152421fac3e05e802db4a89cb4e35b.jpglarge.20210725_111449.jpg.087bfd1c70b43e1ff1473c6a755a1386.jpglarge.20210725_111508.jpg.45c7e0819dabee85bee1690768f86cce.jpg