• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
AlphonseJr

Toolwatch : Measure and track the accuracy of your mechanical watches

Hi,

A few months ago, I wondered what was the best tool to measure the accuracy of my mechanical watches, tired of using my notepad and an atomic clock.

With two friends, also watch enthusiasts, we thought of a web application for that purpose. We wanted the whole process to be the the most simple and convenient possible. We then launched Toolwatch.io confidentially a few weeks ago and we were surprised to soon have several hundred and thousand users. We listened to their different feedback and based on these, we just launched a brand new version. I would be delighted to have your feedback as true watch aficionados and also to answer any question you might have.

Thanks!

Just had a look at your website and I will make a couple of observations.

1. The website needs to be optimized for all available web browsers. I am using the latest version of Firefox and the scrolling on the site is all over the place.

2. Instructions for use - without having to create an account with you - need to be more intuitive. I should not need to create an account in order to learn about your product.

3. If all this requires is to input a time shown on one of my watches and it is measured against your clock, then your product is flawed.
By the time the information is inputted and  checked against your clock, then there are inbuilt time delays i.e speed of PC and server processors, speed of internet in giving a return of values.

4. I have a Casio Waveceptor that is directly synched to the atomic clock. That, for me, is far more accurate that what you are offering in that my watch links directly to the atomic clock and cuts out the time delay as outlined in point 3. Using the Casio I can accurately synch my watches, the only error then involved is human error.

Nice try and, no doubt, others may find it to be a useful tool but it is not for me and I certainly should not have to create an account with you to be able to use it.

Regards

David

I created an account to try it out, using a tablet and using an onscreen keyboard is not a very accurate way to time a watch.

But I will do a second reading in 12 hours time to see what the results are.

I have an atomic watch to check my others, so I'm out, ... and joining this forum just to flog your wares, is pretty poor form...

I created an account to try it out, using a tablet and using an onscreen keyboard is not a very accurate way to time a watch.

But I will do a second reading in 12 hours time to see what the results are.

Lovely ! Do not hesitate in giving your feedback after that and sharing with us the result !

Just had a look at your website and I will make a couple of observations.

1. The website needs to be optimized for all available web browsers. I am using the latest version of Firefox and the scrolling on the site is all over the place.

2. Instructions for use - without having to create an account with you - need to be more intuitive. I should not need to create an account in order to learn about your product.

3. If all this requires is to input a time shown on one of my watches and it is measured against your clock, then your product is flawed.
By the time the information is inputted and  checked against your clock, then there are inbuilt time delays i.e speed of PC and server processors, speed of internet in giving a return of values.

4. I have a Casio Waveceptor that is directly synched to the atomic clock. That, for me, is far more accurate that what you are offering in that my watch links directly to the atomic clock and cuts out the time delay as outlined in point 3. Using the Casio I can accurately synch my watches, the only error then involved is human error.

Nice try and, no doubt, others may find it to be a useful tool but it is not for me and I certainly should not have to create an account with you to be able to use it.

Regards

David

Hi David,

Thanks for that great feedback. Let me answer step by step :
1. You are right, thanks for letting us know.
2. This is definitely something we need to work on. We thought that the "second screen" of the homepage (when you scroll) would give enough info.
3. Don't worry, we got all those potential issues covered ;)
4. I'd be curious if you could compare the two methods and share with us the results !

Thanks a lot for your input David,

Cheers

4. I'd be curious if you could compare the two methods and share with us the results !

Thanks a lot for your input David,

Cheers

I think you missed the point and then big time.

My last sentence says it all.

Nice try and, no doubt, others may find it to be a useful tool but it is not for me and  I certainly should not have to create an account with you to be able to use it.

Regards

David

Edited by DJH584

They tried this over on TZ and got pretty much the same response - it's nothing new, and in fact makes timing watches hard work when there are so many apps and devices that do it that much better, without the need to give up personal details.

One problem is that most forum members have several watches and most manufacturers base their `accuracy' estimates on a watch being worn.

I have a Seiko Astron which syncs to satellites every day and has a claimed accuracy of +/- 1 sec per 100,000 years and a Grand Seiko Quartz rated at +/- 5 seconds a year. I also have a link on my tool bar to an atomic clock so I can check on how much out my watch is and decide if I want to correct it.

I can easily check my automatics etc to these but to be honest I just am not that bothered because my lifestyle does not need that level of accuracy. It is just nice to have watches with the technology to be accurate to a high level.

There are a few watch enthusiasts who are fanatical about accuracy but if you are hoping to make money from your software then the market is probably not there.

They tried this over on TZ and got pretty much the same response - it's nothing new, and in fact makes timing watches hard work when there are so many apps and devices that do it that much better, without the need to give up personal details.

We are not saying that we invented watch accuracy measuring; we just want to share with you guys a free tool we built as watch enthusiasts ourselves and get some interesting feedback. Also, I'd be curious to know what apps/devices are better to learn from them.

Thanks !

Interesting site with some nice hi-res pictures of watches.........

The problem is time delay between computer processing speed, server, modem, + human interaction factor. A similar problem exists with playing digital music from a laptop to a hifi system as the internal clock speed can put errors into the digital stream of music, one approach is to have an asyncronous USB output where the hifi / DAC converter controls the speed of the digital stream and not the laptop

A cheap way of accuracy is a standard atomic clock, which can be bought for a fiver......... going on from that most serious watchkeepers / repairers have a regulator clock / master clock ( + / - 2 sec's a week ) or watch rate tester...........

Your website discusses the problem of magnetism, this has largely been overcome from the 1950's onwards with the IWC Ingeniur and the Rolex Milgauss using special soft iron cases, today it is more cheaply overcome with a silicon balance hairspring, especially if you look at the new Omega 8500 series of watches.

There is also a distinct difference between "accuracy" of a watch and the "rate" of a watch.........

Interesting site with some nice hi-res pictures of watches.........

The problem is time delay between computer processing speed, server, modem, + human interaction factor. A similar problem exists with playing digital music from a laptop to a hifi system as the internal clock speed can put errors into the digital stream of music, one approach is to have an asyncronous USB output where the hifi / DAC converter controls the speed of the digital stream and not the laptop

A cheap way of accuracy is a standard atomic clock, which can be bought for a fiver......... going on from that most serious watchkeepers / repairers have a regulator clock / master clock ( + / - 2 sec's a week ) or watch rate tester...........

Your website discusses the problem of magnetism, this has largely been overcome from the 1950's onwards with the IWC Ingeniur and the Rolex Milgauss using special soft iron cases, today it is more cheaply overcome with a silicon balance hairspring, especially if you look at the new Omega 8500 series of watches.

There is also a distinct difference between "accuracy" of a watch and the "rate" of a watch.........

Thanks for your feedback Harry !

Our system isn't impacted with the problem you mentionned. The only possible error would be due to a human error while making the input (i.e entering the wrong time). Regarding magnetism, you are right, Omega has done an amazing work and the recent results are completely stunning. However, there are still "modern" watches from major brands that are being magnetized. In fact, it's one of the first things (if not the first!) that watchmakers test when a watch is being brought back !