• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Kienzle

Guest Bruce

Guest Bruce

picked this up in devon and quite impressed with it, the time keeping is excellent and the watch has had little use, i changed the original strap as it had gone all crunchy and horrible and beyond help, the watch is 17 jewel and has an Eta 2*** manual wind movement [ should have noted the movement numbers when the case back was off :wacko:] unmarked champaign dial, unmarked stainless case and crystal, original box and purchase receipt from Barnstaple Devon dated 1969 

DSCF7169.jpg

DSCF7170.jpg

DSCF7171.jpg

DSCF7172.jpg

DSCF7173.jpg

scuse pics.......................B

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked up this "Kienzle Swiss" (Valjoux 7733) for a good price (thanks to sellers cr@p photos) from ebay some years back.   Cheers Andrew

For a very short time in the 1970s I was “head-hunted” by Junghans Uhren in Schramberg in the Black Forest.  Kienzle were one of our chief competitors.  I was export manager for their unbranded "OEM"

I seem to recall that most Kienzle watches were made in Germany but they also did a "higher end" (if I can use that term) range of watches which were branded "Kienzle Swiss"

Hi

I have one that says 'Made in Germany' at the bottom of the dial :thumbsup:

Kienzle

HAGWE

John :smile:

mine is swiss, i assume kienzel maybe changed hands a few times

I seem to recall that most Kienzle watches were made in Germany but they also did a "higher end" (if I can use that term) range of watches which were branded "Kienzle Swiss"

Edited by Mutley
typo
  • Like 1

Hi

Kienzle

HAGWE

I recall German Kienzle alarm clocks too that were low quality!! :wacko:

Guest Bruce

Hi

Kienzle

HAGWE

I recall German Kienzle alarm clocks too that were low quality!! :wacko:

i had a new kienzel pilot and it was a cracking watch, sapphire crystal good quality swiss movement, i gave it a friend who is a builder and he wears it every day, its been beaten bashed banged dropped and lots more and still going strong after 3 years+, he says its the best watch he has ever had

Guest Bruce

I do like the Kienzle watches, have collected a few, i used to calibrate the Kienzle speedometers which got me interested in the brand in the first place.......

I'm actually moving to Devon........ so i might get some more if there are any left down there :) 

Devon...the watch collectors paradise....................huge pensioner population:biggrin:

Picked up this "Kienzle Swiss" (Valjoux 7733) for a good price (thanks to sellers cr@p photos) from ebay some years back.

URL]kienzlems.jpg 

Cheers

Andrew

thats very nice

Thanks Bruce, as shown by the photos you and johnbaz have posted they used to make great watches. :yes:

I do like the Kienzle watches, have collected a few, i used to calibrate the Kienzle speedometers which got me interested in the brand in the first place.......

I'm actually moving to Devon........ so i might get some more if there are any left down there :) 

Devon...the watch collectors paradise....................huge pensioner population:biggrin:

I'm not old yet........... i say, "i'm not old yet!!"

No need to shout at me......... i'm wearing me spectacles..........:biggrin:  :to_become_senile:

Guest Bruce

Ah sounds good, am moving near Bridgwater, it's also near the BHI Somerset centre which am looking forward too...........

will look at mapbook......................

Ah........about an hour away.............. halfway meet for a pint??   :biggrin: :drinks:

love to next year when i am back down, i am in southern scotland, only go to devon once a year for my wife to see her dragon.........SORRY Mother

Guest Bruce

Sounds like a plan! :) 

Your going to need an excuse to escape for a couple of hours anyway..............:laugh:

trust me...no excuses needed, i have a route planned every year for all the charity shops, antique shops, bootfairs and auctions, i have a very busy 2 to 3 weeks, i always come home with loads of horological goodness :yes:

For a very short time in the 1970s I was “head-hunted” by Junghans Uhren in Schramberg in the Black Forest.  Kienzle were one of our chief competitors.  I was export manager for their unbranded "OEM" division.

Both companies were primarily clockmakers and this was the beginning of the quartz revolution.  They made huge quantities of quartz clock movements which were used in their own branded clocks – mostly cheap plastic, with and without alarms.  Even during the couple of years I was there I watched the size of the movements decrease although they weren’t as small as the stuff that comes out of China today.

Junghans also made watches as did Kienzle, both branded and with other “makers’” names on.  I wasn’t aware of (or can't remember, which is more likely) the Kienzle “Swiss” range although it doesn’t surprise me.  After all the border was only down the road and it would have been a natural progression to make an up-market range alongside their dread and butter collections. 

Junghans should have done the same.  But they took a diametrically opposite view and I was tasked with going to Switzerland to sell German quartz watch movements (quite thick and clunky at the time).  My ancestors must have been spinning like turbines – probably still are.  I wasn’t very successful.  Sold a lot of clock movements though - mainly to the UK.

Paul

www.audemars.co.uk

• Like 2
Guest Bruce

For a very short time in the 1970s I was “head-hunted” by Junghans Uhren in Schramberg in the Black Forest.  Kienzle were one of our chief competitors.  I was export manager for their unbranded "OEM" division.

Both companies were primarily clockmakers and this was the beginning of the quartz revolution.  They made huge quantities of quartz clock movements which were used in their own branded clocks – mostly cheap plastic, with and without alarms.  Even during the couple of years I was there I watched the size of the movements decrease although they weren’t as small as the stuff that comes out of China today.

Junghans also made watches as did Kienzle, both branded and with other “makers’” names on.  I wasn’t aware of (or can't remember, which is more likely) the Kienzle “Swiss” range although it doesn’t surprise me.  After all the border was only down the road and it would have been a natural progression to make an up-market range alongside their dread and butter collections. 

Junghans should have done the same.  But they took a diametrically opposite view and I was tasked with going to Switzerland to sell German quartz watch movements (quite thick and clunky at the time).  My ancestors must have been spinning like turbines – probably still are.  I wasn’t very successful.  Sold a lot of clock movements though - mainly to the UK.

Paul

www.audemars.co.uk

What an incredible family history you have Paul :thumbsup: