• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Magnetchief

Citizen Exceed Quartz watch question

So I'm looking at this citizen watch in my local charity shop.

Trying to identify the model / movement.

Any clues from these case details? I'm assuming some sort of high end quartz movement.

Are they at all collectible? Any clues to date of manufacture?

Many thanks

exceed.jpg7619090565036ll.jpg

The Citizen page appears to indicate that the Exceed line was introduced in May of 1978 .... http://www.citizen.com.hk/en/about-us/brand-history

And from the various threads I was able to find on WUS, etc, you're right in concluding that it's a "higher-end" quartz movement ... consensus appears to be that, when working in spec, annual deviation should be +/- 10 seconds (!!)  That would be in the same range as today's Precisionist quartz movements!!

To the extent that Quartz watches are collectible, I'd guess that this one is (at least to a Citizen collector ...)

The Exceed are Citizens high end quartz line and has included some more interesting and some (the majority...) less interesting watches. The numbers on the case-back should help you home in a bit more - the 3920 number is the cal number. As PDXWatchCollector suggests, some of the watches had super-accurate (thermo-compensated) movements, many did not. There were also more than a few watches in this line that were made with solid gold cases. And one thinner-than-1mm analogue quartz movement in the late 1970s.

Not too much collector interest in these outside of Japan.

• Like 1