• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New to watches, new to ruskies, need an opinion :)

hughlle

Just wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on a couple of watches.

I should state that I am not really viewing these as acquisitions with a resale value, but more just because of aesthetics.

Being new, one thing which has me a little thrown is when there is nothing but a number stamped on the rear of the casing. I'm also (quite probably for no good reason) put off slightly by the fact that they are all shipped from, well, the USSR.

So, I really like the styling of this watch, but don't know if it would be mechanically sound and an advisable purchase. - 161800617964

I rather like this one as well - 171853528831

And this one, although the dial is a touch busy, but I still rather like it - 181815487848

Any thoughts are most welcome :) As I say, these are more for the looks than the collectible nature. Any other recommendations are very much appreciated :) Having to send back one citizen I received today as faulty, and another citizen as too small, so my watch budget just went up a bit :)

Hi Hugh,

The 2 Pobedas are pieces of junk with shoddily printed redials to be honest. Personally I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Buying Russian watches is a bit of minefield and there's a lot of crap out there with fantasy dials cobbled together from random parts.. The Raketa however looks to be a pretty good piece at a good price.

Nice catch on the transitional Komandirskie tank. The hour hand is from an Amphibia but I wouldn't let that worry you too much.

I ended up purchasing the Roketa :) I just loved the aesthetics, really liked the year function, even if it will no longer mean anything as it was only designed upto 2000, but still a nice little feature. Just want a citizen eco-drive and then i'm gonna take a step back from buying watches and take a look at some straps, tools, and a storage solution.

Thanks for the help :)

If you are looking for genuine Russian stuff ask Lampoc he is an expert, IMO, and wont put you wrong.

If you are looking to buy something that looks cool to you buy it and you will always enjoy looking at it as long as you bought it just for its looks. If it don't keep good time the bay will refund you.

I really like fantasy dials but I know they have been made for collectors like me........................:thumbsup:

This is a good place to ask before you buy.

If you are looking for genuine Russian stuff ask Lampoc he is an expert, IMO, and wont put you wrong.

If you are looking to buy something that looks cool to you buy it and you will always enjoy looking at it as long as you bought it just for its looks. If it don't keep good time the bay will refund you.

I really like fantasy dials but I know they have been made for collectors like me........................:thumbsup:

This is a good place to ask before you buy.

I normally do buy if I like it, however given these are being shipped from Ukraine etc, I just didn't want the bother of drawn out international shipping.  

Timepieces_ua is a decent seller. I've bought from him before and watches normally take about a week to arrive. Never been stung for customs from Ukraine as well - unlike the USA where I caught every time :(

Customs is another consideration. I've always avoided buying from abroad. Is it ever the case that you might buy something for a steal, and then have to pay absurd customs charges based on what it might go on amazon for? That is my one dread when trying to find possible bargains.

It's a bit random. The last one I got caught with was a Titoni from the USA which I paid about $350 for. Customs charge was about £15 plus a £10 handling fee.

Only once have I had a watch stopped by customs from eastern Europe (Moldova) and I've bought a LOT of watches from Ukraine and Russia :D

Of course, if it's from the EU there are no charges at all.

Edited by Lampoc