• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Caller.

Photo's diappearing?

They are only doing security issues, everything else seems to be "wait for a service pack". It really is rather half baked.

Here's one for you, apparently randomly my machine seems to go into a sort of touchscreen mode and you can't open the start menu with the mouse. You can right click and shutdown or do a few other things. Where this gets interesting is there is no predictable way to get it to open again. It will be fine if you restart, it may come back if you launch a programme from an icon on the desktop or maybe not. Ctrl/Esc may or may not work or a combination of Ctrl/Esc while clicking the mouse may work. The same holds true for the Windows key. It's an adventure! :laugh:

Later,
William

Could this "Photo Disappearing" issue also be the reason why the Watch Forum Site appears to be swallowing my password?

I go to 'forgot password' and make a new one. However after a couple of hours should I wish to log in again, that 'new password' is no longer valid.

I am using a MacBook Pro.

Roy tested this a few nights back and could find nothing wrong, but the issue remains. 

No big deal but a little annoying as it is the only site requiring a password that does this.

Any suggestions (If not related to the 'Photo Disappearing' thing)?

Cheers.

Edited by Alexus

A while back, I was having some issues with the site not accepting my login from my smartphone. As I recall, I had to try to login a few times before it would take.

Later,
William

• Like 1

Actually, I had a problem with Edge earlier, in that it wouldn't open. Checked the advice on-line and all is well now.

Photo's still not showing on Edge or IE11, but they do on Chrome.

However, I posted them elsewhere and they are showing on Edge, so could be a forum issue?

Actually, I had a problem with Edge earlier, in that it wouldn't open. Checked the advice on-line and all is well now.

Photo's still not showing on Edge or IE11, but they do on Chrome.

However, I posted them elsewhere and they are showing on Edge, so could be a forum issue?

Ok, log into your Google account. After that, open up the Watch Forum page with your photos and tell me if you can see them. As soon as I log into my Google/Gmail/YouTube account I can see them.

Here is the URL for the first photo in your forum thread link:

"https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Lu256kKFT-lW1FB8b6GMs7y2kUrRT9DU3Iy0s-xu_pl-ozevZVw6fsGcEqQtQIkKp3o6CkjkeHnNAu6OjUiUkrAspz-Vn6V_JSFCMjwNXnzfhubZ5bfp4HEAAbmu8UQRYBj4TxCnaxl6ZR1968_06oe57a77E89zSoKLjsJatnMFpXUtgGPsqVu2k8yh6ZSl4PrDoAemfBveUUZEi5dAdAVCtS8Xf0HHbBAGGorDixU6wvavGOJSTaiZ6Nad5eEdyhsB85RjRP5dhthFT9803UQplmb-Fkji4owO2ltFsF3fs8ah4tjgw1cL5wh5UJWgAtix-H__CSdNMeE_GrEaOzUX12VsUF3yYlacouDndDzGkM_e1hM_VbKpzGM1HYwQGrZ7tgfzNRwNwJBt6jGUzae2zNztT9wJH-ziiKXt02PFkBmBBLXFMKxoxiDilJwEC0KNOo0nO-q6_X1adPGJer8vpoYTZQws5PXzSH8bpxgCXBG_l8k9GgysPbx19eGyjqs3Hv3q5XLlJeqhRn58-GQC=w1278-h667-no"

As you can see, it is loocated on Google.

Later,
William

Edited by William_Wilson
  • Like 2

Could this "Photo Disappearing" issue also be the reason why the Watch Forum Site appears to be swallowing my password?

I go to 'forgot password' and make a new one. However after a couple of hours should I wish to log in again, that 'new password' is no longer valid.

Roy tested this a few nights back and could find nothing wrong, but the issue remains. 

No big deal but a little annoying as it is the only site requiring a password that does this.

Cheers.

Passwords generated through a forgotten passwords form normally have a fairly limited shelf life. What happens if you request a new password, and then use it straight away, not a few hours later?

Hi, thanks William, but still no joy in Edge. I automatically enter my account when I go onto chrome. What I don't get is that the photo's were shown on the thread, even the next day they were there and then they weren't. And they are showing elsewhere, also on Edge.

Hi, thanks William, but still no joy in Edge. I automatically enter my account when I go onto chrome. What I don't get is that the photo's were shown on the thread, even the next day they were there and then they weren't. And they are showing elsewhere, also on Edge.

Just to be clear, when you open Edge, do you go to your Google account and login prior to trying to view the photos?

Later,
William

• Like 1

Just to be clear, when you open Edge, do you go to your Google account and login prior to trying to view the photos?

Later,
William

I really appreciate your help William! :thumbsup:

I have tried it every which way - open edge then to my account on Chrome, then onto the forum / thread also go to Chrome first then open Edge, plus not opening Chrome at all. But still no joy and they do still appear elsewhere.

11pm here and I've  got a rotten cold - in Thailand! Will pick this up in the morning.

• Like 1

Ok. The important thing is that you log into Google from the Edge browser. For the sake of simplicity, I just log into Google through YouTube. The login cookies need to be present in the browser you are working with.

Hope you feel better soon.

Later,
William

• Like 1

Cheers.

Passwords generated through a forgotten passwords form normally have a fairly limited shelf life. What happens if you request a new password, and then use it straight away, not a few hours later?

Yes, using the reset password immediately, works fine, but as I said should I wish to use it later the 'new password' is no longer valid.

Ok. The important thing is that you log into Google from the Edge browser.

Okay - got that. Ensured I did as you say and one photo appears to have re-emerged in the thread. I also checked other threads I posted photos in and they had gone as well. I guess the test will be what happens the next time I post a photo - I'll try that now.

Still seems to be only this forum affected though. 

Just checked where I'd posted the photo's elsewhere and they've gone from there as well! I can't recall this being an IE11 issue, that you need to be signed in to your google account for the photo's to work? What happens when you shut down the computer - will the photos all vanish?

Now signed into chrome via Edge on Google UK and Thailand, and directly via Chrome! 

Edited by Caller

Thanks SH, so they're still there for some, but not for me! I have to confess to not really understanding what's happening here.

Thanks SH, so they're still there for some, but not for me! I have to confess to not really understanding what's happening here.

So can you see your photo that I posted?

• Like 1

I've done a bit of testing on the image of Callers that I posted... and it looks to be a browser issue...not a Forum or operating system one.

On My Desktop running Windows 10:

• Chrome: image shows
  • Edge: image shows

On My Laptop running Windows 10:

On my Samsung Tablet running Android 5.0.2:

• Samsung Browser: image does not show

On my Huawei Ascend Mate 7 Phone running Android 4.4.2:

• Huawei Browser: image does not show

I haven't tried Firefox, Opera etc but would expect their latest versions to display the image correctly.  I know older browsers were a bit fussy and insisted that images carried a recognized image extension in the URL (i.e. .jpg, .jpeg, .png etc).  And old / previous versions of this forum software used to insist on such an extension but that is clearly not the case now.

I did tried Incognito sessions in Chrome (i.e. no login to Google, no cookies, no cache) and the image still displayed OK.

• Like 1

I just did an InPrivate session with Edge and there were no images, just place holders.

Later,
William

I didn't try that...but now have...and do not get the image, just a place holder.  If I paste the image URL into the InPrivate session address field, I get asked to log into a Google account.

I did the same thing with a Chrome Incognito session...and now get the same thing....which is crazy as the Incognito session worked 5 hours ago. :taz:

It must be a Google security related issue.

Edited by Silver Hawk
  • Like 1

On My Laptop running Windows 10:

And that's what I'm using. Just checked the thread using Edge, I can still only see just the one picture. On the other hand, the test photo I put up is still there as is the euro map I posted. On Chrome, all the images show.  I'm not into techie things and I don't understand what's happening here, maybe I should just use chrome and be done with it?.

I just did an InPrivate session with Edge and there were no images, just place holders.

Later,
William

I didn't try that...but now have...and do not get the image, just a place holder.  If I paste the image URL into the InPrivate session address field, I get asked to log into a Google account.

I did the same thing with a Chrome Incognito session...and now get the same thing....which is crazy as the Incognito session worked 5 hours ago. :taz:

It must be a Google security related issue.

My smartphone required that I have a Gmail account. I don't use it very often, but I have noticed that when photos are attached to messages they seem to disappear randomly. I suspect that Google is in over its head with its merged services.

Later,
William

• Like 1

Do you think my photo's are too big? Let me explain. Someone casually mentioned elsewhere that my links might be too large. You don't notice here, where they're copy / paste. But normally when I post a photo elsewhere, there's  about 2/3 lines of text. With this current set of phones, they are huge as posted by SH above. Should I check my upload settings from picassa to google, to make it easier for sharing?

Do you think my photo's are too big? Let me explain. Someone casually mentioned elsewhere that my links might be too large. You don't notice here, where they're copy / paste. But normally when I post a photo elsewhere, there's  about 2/3 lines of text. With this current set of phones, they are huge as posted by SH above. Should I check my upload settings from picassa to google, to make it easier for sharing?

The physical size of the photo Silver Hawk grabbed straight from Google is only 160kb, which isn't really very much, mine are often three times that size. Perhaps Google is is imposing some sort of dynamic bandwidth limits on an hourly basis, which is resulting in them coming and going unpredictably.

Later,
William

• Like 1

Well I have revisited the original thread from where the photos have disappeared - and they still are not there.
That is using Win10 with the latest version of Firefox, Edge and IE11 - nuffin.

David

• Like 1