• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Ebay/Argos Click & Collect

I've just sold a watch on eBay and must have accidently had the option ticked for the buyer to Click & Collect at an Argos store. I'm not comfortable with this as it adds another layer of potential pitfall and pain if the watch goes missing in the Argos/eBay system.

Has anyone else used it before and how did it go?

I've messaged the buyer asking for a normal address and apologising for my mistake, but I really don't want to post it to an Argos store numbness.png

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no idea what you mean, but thanks for the constructive input.

As bruce said, The original postage cost you paid is lost as the buyer gets a full refund once you confirm the item received. Ok in simple terms (i think you have got the gist though) Buyer pays £

have used it to collect my last couple of ebay purchases without fault.

buyer gets email from argos with ref number , walks in with email on mobile phone , shows email at priority desk and bobs yer mothers brother.

as a buyer very happy with it ... no faffing about wit the royal mail ...

Yeah, but as a seller, I'm thinking it's another thing to go wrong if someone taps in the wrong code, or decides they like the look of the parcel.

I just want it to go direct to the seller via RMSD without the middle man :(

i read somewhere [ don't remember where] that Argos will take no responsibility for lost parcels, puts me off totally 

Edited by Bruce
sarcasm

Yeah, but as a seller, I'm thinking it's another thing to go wrong if someone taps in the wrong code, or decides they like the look of the parcel.

I just want it to go direct to the seller via RMSD without the middle man :(

i read somewhere [ don't remember where] that Argos will take no responsibility for lost parcels, puts me off totaly 

Good point totally.

Its fairly safe for the seller. Liability falls upon the postal service up until Argos receive it and then eBay are liable for the product until it is collected (or if buyer doesn't pick up within 7 days the sale is automatically voided and the item will be shipped back to sender)

Just make sure not to post any sex toys, they're in the exclusion list, right next to radioactive materials and poisons :D 

Its fairly safe for the seller. Liability falls upon the postal service up until Argos receive it and then eBay are liable for the product until it is collected (or if buyer doesn't pick up within 7 days the sale is automatically voided and the item will be shipped back to sender)

Just make sure not to post any sex toys, they're in the exclusion list, right next to radioactive materials and poisons :D 

That's interesting to know. Thanks. So maybe not so bad after all.

I've just forced my buyer to take delivery at his home address in Essex, rather than the Argos just down the road from his work. Ooops :laugh:

Yeah, it's all in the TC. But as you say though, it's just one more layer of complication. It's hard enough selling on eBay as it is without the buyer trying to screw you.

Only upside of this is that it could minimise the number of asshats who claim the item never arrived. Nothing goes on eBay without recorded delivery :) 

Yeah, it's all in the TC. But as you say though, it's just one more layer of complication. It's hard enough selling on eBay as it is without the buyer trying to screw you.

Only upside of this is that it could minimise the number of asshats who claim the item never arrived. Nothing goes on eBay without recorded delivery :) 

so are all parcels tracked then?

Have used Argos C&C without problems so far, but ebay is a minefield at the best of times.  Recently someone bought some furniture fittings from me 'collection only', only to realise that where they thought I lived (a mile away from them) was a different place with the same name to where I actually lived (200 miles away) because they did not read the postcode when they bid.  I had to sort it out and had to wait 10 days before getting a lousy credit against listing fees, rather than a refund fromebay for costs.  Ebay can really stink.

I understand that when they are received by Argos, they go on the Argos system, so as long as the seller tracks the parcel to Argos, it should be fine (famous last words).

Have used Argos C&C without problems so far, but ebay is a minefield at the best of times.  Recently someone bought some furniture fittings from me 'collection only', only to realise that where they thought I lived (a mile away from them) was a different place with the same name to where I actually lived (200 miles away) because they did not read the postcode when they bid.  I had to sort it out and had to wait 10 days before getting a lousy credit against listing fees, rather than a refund fromebay for costs.  Ebay can really stink.

I understand that when they are received by Argos, they go on the Argos system, so as long as the seller tracks the parcel to Argos, it should be fine (famous last words).

are royal mail involved though? just wondering if RM will behave a bit better if so

are royal mail involved though? just wondering if RM will behave a bit better if so

If you use RM to dispatch to Argos...er...I doubt it will make much difference to how RM behaves, other than there's no risk that the addressee will be out!

If you use RM to dispatch to Argos...er...I doubt it will make much difference to how RM behaves, other than there's no risk that the addressee will be out!

ahh, so sellers still screwed then 

I find using RMSD helps mitigate any potential RM failings because they have to pay up if it goes missing.

Touch wood, I've never actually had any problem with RM, and that includes posting all over the EU and to the US. This was before I realised that RM doesn't cover watches being sent overseas. I got lucky :)

I find using RMSD helps mitigate any potential RM failings because they have to pay up if it goes missing.

Touch wood, I've never actually had any problem with RM, and that includes posting all over the EU and to the US. This was before I realised that RM doesn't cover watches being sent overseas. I got lucky :)

agreed, RMSD does help, but the cost is outrageous i think, plus send RMSD on a Friday is a massive con as they wont guarantee next day delivery on Saturday without paying extra so how can they charge you for next day for a service they cant provide?as a sender "next day"only work" Mon to Thurs :angry:

agreed, RMSD does help, but the cost is outrageous i think, plus send RMSD on a Friday is a massive con as they wont guarantee next day delivery on Saturday without paying extra so how can they charge you for next day for a service they cant provide?as a sender "next day"only work" Mon to Thurs :angry:

You don't have to use RM of course https://www.parcel2go.com/ but of course do check that watches are covered...

sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I'd never sell anything on eBay without it go I g out via a tracked delivery method. Too many greedy sods in the world who figure it is just dandy to take the item and then try and get a refund for "non-delivery" as well. Click and collect should minimize that problem.

sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I'd never sell anything on eBay without it go I g out via a tracked delivery method. Too many greedy sods in the world who figure it is just dandy to take the item and then try and get a refund for "non-delivery" as well. Click and collect should minimize that problem.

i get you, its been a few years since a sold on ebay, i hate the thought of being ripped off and ebay automatically taking the buyers side

I have an ebay business and the only problem with C&C is when A: Argos do not alert the buyer to the fact the item is there and B: if they do not collect it the item is returned FOC to the sender.

But then you lose out on postage, Aside from that it is totally safe. My items are not high value and i send them all to argos without tracking as they get tracked internally. (many i usually send tracked)

I can only assume you have not been into argos for a long time, As they have cameras EVERYWHERE behind collection counter is a monitor showing the conveyor just in case the staff nick something at the last moment!

So yes it is safe and I have no issues with theft using that service, And your insurance still stands so all is good :)

I have an ebay business and the only problem with C&C is when A: Argos do not alert the buyer to the fact the item is there and B: if they do not collect it the item is returned FOC to the sender.

But then you lose out on postage, Aside from that it is totally safe. My items are not high value and i send them all to argos without tracking as they get tracked internally. (many i usually send tracked)

I can only assume you have not been into argos for a long time, As they have cameras EVERYWHERE behind collection counter is a monitor showing the conveyor just in case the staff nick something at the last moment!

So yes it is safe and I have no issues with theft using that service, And your insurance still stands so all is good :)

interesting :thumbsup:

I personally prefer sending it all to argos Bruce, The buyer cannot claim INR (item not received) which gives you a defect even if you have tracking :swoon:

can you specify argos and no other method? i have some vintage car parts that i would like to sell on ebay

What do you mean by lose out on postage? 

i guess when you refund the buyer they get their post back out of your pocket