• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Guest Bruce

Praetorian Night Patrol PVD

Guest Bruce

In truth if i had seen this watch in a shop window i wouldn't have given it a second look, but i don't think this is about my taste in watches, however it will come into it.

My first impression was the dial, it is after all its face and the first thing you see, it is very busy, but also very very clear and easy to read with just a glance, a lot of watches you have to look and focus to tell the time, not this one,  its an interesting and pleasing dial too.

one of the features i like is the 24 hour track, being dyslexic i strangely struggle with the 24 hour clock and genuinely have to use my fingers to count round to change from 12 hrs to 24, this watch has both and its a revelation for me.

The H3 Tritium.... now that really caught me out, usually when i get a new watch i hold a very bright torch right up to the crystal for a couple of minutes and then cup my hands round the watch and it gives me the idea how bright the lume is, there was nothing glowing on this watch face though, at first i thought maybe we had been sent an early prototype with no lume, but i decided to have a google and looked up H3 Tritium, i am so glad i did, i could hold the watch up to a super nova for a year and it wouldn't make any difference, but put it in a dark room though and wait for your eyes to adjust and boy does it glow and glow and glow..incredible.

I wore the Night Patrol to bed just to try the lume, my wife woke up and said are you playing with a torch? what's that sticking in my back? and why is that watch so bright?   i explained: T25 means the watch has between 1 and 25 millicuries [mCi] of radioactive tritium and T100 [T] has between 26 and 100 millicuries.the mineral glass tube or vial is coated internally with a phosphorescent paint [zinc sulfide] in the colour of choice. tritium gas is then introduced into the tube which is then sealed. as tritium decays, its electrons excite the zinc sulfide coating thus producing a constant glow that doesn't require any battery source or ambient light to charge. the glow, and some may call it decay, happens immediately once the tubes are sealed. the light in these tubes are said to have a conservative life of between 12 and 25 years.

The gentle snoring next to me indicated that she had absolutely no interest in the watch or the torch .........

The night Patrol PVD has clear Military intentions and i can see it on the wrists of many weekend paint ball warriors, but more importantly i can also see it on the wrists of genuine Military personnel where it truly belongs.

The watch is hugely practical, a nice size, and comfortable to wear, being quartz its also very accurate and robust, if i were to change anything i would put it on a bracelet, but that's just my taste and no reflection on the watch itself.

Would i buy one?....yes i would and will do shortly, but it will be the stainless version which again is just my taste, the PVD version is very well done and i bet it would look amazing after a few years of wear to the stainless steel case`s high points............

DSCF7624.jpg

DSCF7627.jpg

DSCF7628.jpg

i hope i have done the Praetorian Night patrol justice, i have enjoyed my time with it and shall now remove all traces of DNA before passing it on to the next temporary custodian.

Great review Bruce ,get some pics up when you get the stainless version. You should put a wrist shot up before passing it on.what are the dimensions ?

are you playing with your torch , what's sticking in my back , classic lol

Guest Bruce

Great review Bruce ,get some pics up when you get the stainless version. You should put a wrist shot up before passing it on.what are the dimensions ?

i purposely didnt post any of the spec as its all on their web site, but just for you its 48mm including the crown, as for wrist shots i can barely photograph a static watch never mind one shaking around on the wrong wrist [ right hand] :biggrin: i think i have only ever done one wrist shot and it was awful 

Guest Bruce

Nice Watch and great review.

PVD is not normally for me, but this review makes me have a re think.

i was the same about pvd, but bought an Ocean7 a while back and its a cracking finish and as long as its not abused i think it takes on a very nice aged look

i purposely didnt post any of the spec as its all on their web site, but just for you its 48mm including the crown, as for wrist shots i can barely photograph a static watch never mind one shaking around on the wrong wrist [ right hand] :biggrin: i think i have only ever done one wrist shot and it was awful 

I'm a lazy git and I'd probably weaken if I went on the website:thumbsup:

Guest Bruce

I'm a lazy git and I'd probably weaken if I went on the website:thumbsup:

i hear you :biggrin:

Guest Bruce

Nice review. Would be good to wrist shot though if you can?

i dont do wrist shots, you would see my green scaly skin :biggrin: seriously though as posted above i am right handed wear on my right and cant take photos with my left, plus its now packed ready to depart Ecosse to journey to the mythical land of Sassenachs, hopefully the next custodian can do a wrist shot :biggrin:

User reviews like this make me a lot more will I g to buy such a watch. I hope people will be brutal if the need should arise though. 

Definately one to keep on my maybe list :) 

Guest Bruce

User reviews like this make me a lot more will I g to buy such a watch. I hope people will be brutal if the need should arise though. 

Definately one to keep on my maybe list :) 

i don't thing being brutal is appropriate for good well known brands, however it can be reserved for the chancers peddling crap :laugh:

Hi guys, rather then starting a new thread I thought I would add to this one. I was next in the line after Bruce with the watch. I have worn it for a few days on and off. A wrist shot on a 8 to 8.25 inch left wrist. My wrists are thick rather than flat. Also have a night shot, not brilliant focus.

DSCN3456_zpsmggbobtz.jpg

DSCN3457_zpsjpuzwwlw.jpg

I am of two minds on this watch mainly due to the tritium tubes as seen in the second pic. I can imagine them being very useful for people who wear them at night, or who work in dark environments, or at night. It's also a good sized watch for most wrists. Despite my wrist size I tend to prefer watches between 39 to 41/41.5 mm nowadays or with short lug to lug if over the forementioned sizes. 

There are a few things that put me off the watch:

The first thing that puts me off is the bezel, it looks plasticky and cheap, and the white paint makes it look even cheaper. I think it is metal, but it doesn't look like that and I think the pvd and then the design of the bezel are the culprits.

Second thing that puts me off is the busy dial. It is still easy to read the time with a glance, but the amount of things on the dial is quite off putting. No doubt people who just wear a watch, but use their computer, phone or wall clock to check the time won't be bothered.

Thirdly for a quartz watch it is quite heavy. It does have a robust feel, despite the bezel. But when I wear a quartz I personally expect it to be forgotten under a shirt cuff, till I check the time.

In conclusion, this isn't a watch for me. It's mainly the bezel and the look of it. I think it makes the watch look like a cheap plasticky watch, like the Marathon Navigator, which is plastic, which I had 6 or 7 years ago. I can see it being liked because of the excellent lume which is always on. The non pvd version looks far better and not cheap looking in comparison. This is a watch for people who want a beater in the same way I would consider a GShock or a Vostok priced watch.

• Like 1

So as its now been a week since i have been road testing this i thought that id better put a review up like i promised.

First impressions:

Sat in the box it looked hefty so was surprised that it was lighter than i thought it would be but im sure that's due to me wearing autos all the time. The next thing that gets you attention is the dial, there is a lot going on there. Very well laid out and legible but a little to busy for my taste  as i dont think it needs the sub numbers or the radioactive symbol.

The watch as expected was set at the right time and being quartz has kept good time. It feels good on my 7" wrist and is very comfortable on the included strap. It has blended into my work attire due to the PVD and no one has noticed it. Being the "watch guy" i normally get some comment when i wear something different but not this time so guess the stealth works?  The bezel has a good solid action but does have a small amount of movement in it. Lume is torch like and was the main attraction to my 3 year old son who loved it and i did find it useful in low light situations as server rooms are often dimly lit places.

Would i wear it? Yes i have done full time for a week. I get the appeal of the watch and for the price can recommend it as its the watch i should have sat in my watch box for when there its time to get stuff done when you may damage you other watches. I think that i could be tempted to buy one at a later date. I guess i could always ask santa if he thinks i have been good or not :D

Is there anyone who wants to borrow this watch for a couple of weeks and review it then please let me know :)