• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
tom

Hunting the perfect pilots watch

What exactly is a pilots watch anyway ??

Pilots and navigators haven't used watches as instruments forever and a day so it's just a vanity thing these days. If anything something with a GMT function would probably be of more use as at least where ever they are they would know what time to turn up ready to go.

As for the Brightbling thing, I traveled plenty and it's not a watch I've seen very often and given my dislike of flying I always check out the driver.

MVC-351S_zpsd4c93d93.jpg

And the engines

:laugh: :laugh:

I would have thought any of Casio's "Gravity Defier" G-Shocks would fit the bill nicely - The clue is in the title :laugh:

There's a glowing revue of one here:

G-Shock GWA1100-1A3 review

Or you could choose the snappily titled G-Shock G-Aviation GWA1100 (again, the clue is in the title) as described in this revue:

G-Shock G-Aviation GWA1100 revue

I suspect the earlier post about Concorde pilots wearing Rolex probably says more about their earnings in those days than the functionality of their watches... :biggrin:  And I also suspect that most pilots these days choose a watch based purely on what it looks like because, fortunately for us passengers, their office contains all the instruments they need to get the big metal tube up into the sky and safely back down again at the other end.  In fact, you could argue they don't need a watch at all, since every aircraft's instrument panel will almost certainly include a clock :swoon:

Just noticed I spelt "review" 2 different ways :laugh:

And I had to look up "spelt", to make sure it wasn't "spelled" (they are interchangeable, apparently - Who knew?)

When you learn to fly you still have to do navigation the old fashioned way, regardless of modern technology, and that requires either a clearly legible watch or better still a stop watch. I used a cheap Russian mechanical stop watch from Roy for all my cross country navigation stuff backed up by a Sinn 103 which has a countdown bezel which is perfect for timing to way points. But you are right,once you are qualified the sat nav rules and modern cockpits have everything you need and some. 

Just because I like it though I have a Stowa Flieger. Simple and iconic pilots watch

• Like 1

I rather like pilot type watches. Can you tell:

IMG_3686.jpg

Terrible photo therefore I will be impressed if anyone can name them all...

Top row (l-r):

Archimede?; JS Watch Co SIF N.A.R.T (I'm very jealous of this one – if you ever decide to flip please let me know :)); Omega Dynamic chrono; Revue Thommen Airspeed XL; Omega Dynamic

Bottom row (l-r):

Ollech & Wajs Pilot; Damasko DA36

Do I win the NART? :laugh:

IMG_3686.jpg

Terrible photo therefore I will be impressed if anyone can name them all..

Hello Dave, I assume that's the DA36 you had from me? Good to see it's still going strong. Did you change the strap or is it just a trick of the light? I do miss the quality case Damasko produce. Memo to self - get another Damasko in due course!

IMG_3686.jpg

Top row (l-r):

Archimede?; JS Watch Co SIF N.A.R.T (I'm very jealous of this one – if you ever decide to flip please let me know :)); Omega Dynamic chrono; Revue Thommen Airspeed XL; Omega Dynamic

Bottom row (l-r):

Bravo Jim.

Truly impressive effort, especially considering the quality of the photo. I honestly thought the JS Watch Sif would catch out everyone but no, bang on first time. Alas you don't win it on this occasion as the top left isn't in fact an Archimede I am afraid, it is in fact a Parnis no-name chinese thing which I never wear but can't bear to flip as I like the looks. Mean of me I know!

Re the Sif: What a great watch! A wonderful classic looking pilot (without being too derivative) with 1000m water resistance. Good full lume and great bracelet (not shown). What's not to like!

Hello Dave, I assume that's the DA36 you had from me? Good to see it's still going strong. Did you change the strap or is it just a trick of the light? I do miss the quality case Damasko produce. Memo to self - get another Damasko in due course!

Hi Phil

Yes indeed it is your DA36 and that is the original Damasko supplied (Di Modell made) strap, just a terrible photo. I absolutely bloody love it and in fact am thinking of adding a DA37 to pair with it. When it first arrived it ran +10s/day fast (which was surprising since I think you only had it 9 months) but I got it regulated for a tenner and now it is +/- 2s per day in all positions. Big value watch even at the current £825 new. Absolutely bullet proof and clear as day, I just wish the numbers were lumed like the Omegas and Sif. As I said earlier, for me at least, somewhere in here are the component parts of a perfect pilots watch.

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1

IMG_3686.jpg

Top row (l-r):

Bottom row (l-r):

Bravo Jim. Truly impressive effort, especially considering the quality of the photo. I honestly thought the JS Watch Sif would catch out everyone but no, bang on first time. Alas you don't win it on this occasion as the top left isn't in fact an Archimede I am afraid, it is in fact a Parnis no-name chinese thing which I never wear but can't bear to flip as I like the looks. Mean of me I know!

Re the Sif: What a great watch! A wonderful classic looking pilot (without being too derivative) with 1000m water resistance. Good full lume and great bracelet (not shown). What's not to like!

Close but no cigar :(

Where did you get the NART from? I've been in touch with JS but the import VAT kills it for me. It is a piece of work though and a perfect size. It could even be a contender for the 'one watch'.

Where did you get the NART from? I've been in touch with JS but the import VAT kills it for me. It is a piece of work though and a perfect size. It could even be a contender for the 'one watch'.

Probably not the answer you are hoping for but I picked it up when I visited Reykjavik earlier in the year. Gilbert is a very accommodating and welcoming chap and I have been in for a chat on 3 occasions now. He seems to treat a random walk in off the street with the same courtesy as the likes of Roger Federer or Elvis Costello (whose watch was on the bench when I wandered in). This time I could resist the urge to buy no longer. One big advantage of a visit in person is that you can claim back the sales tax on the way out of the country so it works out much cheaper to buy there. Also his local prices are in Krone whereas he prices in Euros on the web, the exchange rate makes purchases at his shop rather more affordable (but we are still talking comfortably into 4 figures). I think I saved around £400 over the web price but these are still clearly not cheap pieces!

If you are serious about getting one, take a weekend break in Reykjavik and the trip will be covered by the saving. Give him a call first to check opening. Don't believe the website. He even works Sundays occasionally.

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1

Probably not the answer you are hoping for but I picked it up when I visited Reykjavik earlier in the year. Gilbert is a very accommodating and welcoming chap and I have been in for a chat on 3 occasions now. He seems to treat a random walk in off the street with the same courtesy as the likes of Roger Federer or Elvis Costello (whose watch was on the bench when I wandered in). This time I could resist the urge to buy no longer. One big advantage of a visit in person is that you can claim back the sales tax on the way out of the country so it works out much cheaper to buy there. Also his local prices are in Krone whereas he prices in Euros on the web, the exchange rate makes purchases at his shop rather more affordable (but we are still talking comfortably into 4 figures). I think I saved around £400 over the web price but these are still clearly not cheap pieces!

If you are serious about getting one, take a weekend break in Reykjavik and the trip will be covered by the saving. Give him a call first to check opening. Don't believe the website. He even works Sundays occasionally.

Nice story and thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Now how do I persuade the wife that we NEED a weekend away in Iceland? :laugh:

Slight tangent, I know... but I can't stop gazing at the photo of the SIF NART on the JS website...

image_zps65ayjw7b.jpeg

• Like 2

When you learn to fly you still have to do navigation the old fashioned way, regardless of modern technology, and that requires either a clearly legible watch or better still a stop watch. I used a cheap Russian mechanical stop watch from Roy for all my cross country navigation stuff backed up by a Sinn 103 which has a countdown bezel which is perfect for timing to way points.

I get the stop watch bit but just out of interest was there a spec for the type of watch required and could you have done it with a watch alone ??? 

Slight tangent, I know... but I can't stop gazing at the photo of the SIF NART on the JS website...

image_zps65ayjw7b.jpeg

It's beautiful isn't it? Also available with silver seconds hand:

SifNart40mmCollection_zpslwfosoun.jpg

I've been lusting after it for about a year but unless I sell half the collection, or move to Iceland… they never come up used :(

So how long do I have to wait for my gift for the correct answer? :) I'm guessing I get a pilots watch right :D 

What was your answer, based on the question requiring actual watch suggestions?  

• Like 1

There is no answer, yet everything is the answer. My perfect pilot could be a diver. You may question my reasoning but I get to like what I like :) We might as well be discussing what the best colour is.

• Like 3

There is no answer, yet everything is the answer. My perfect pilot could be a diver. You may question my reasoning but I get to like what I like :) We might as well be discussing what the best colour is.

Playing the 'everything is subjective' card is lazy sophistry and you may as well not have bothered to answer :)

Back in the real world, the OP asked for suggestions and reasons, presumably to get as wide a range of subjective views as possible.

And red is the best colour :wink:

image_zps65ayjw7b.jpeg

It's beautiful isn't it? Also available with silver seconds hand:

SifNart40mmCollection_zpslwfosoun.jpg

I've been lusting after it for about a year but unless I sell half the collection, or move to Iceland… they never come up used :(

So how long do I have to wait for my gift for the correct answer? :) I'm guessing I get a pilots watch right :D 

The second I saw it in person I knew I had to have one. It was, and still is a £1.5K  plus purchase which many think is mental for an ETA 2824 in a brand with zero recognition but when your realise it is truly hand made, has a genuine 1000m rating and looks sooooo damn good I thought why the hell not. Mine has the bracelet on the right in the pic above and a red second hand but I wear it on the vanilla scented rubber (aren't they all) that they threw in for free. If you don't like this then I pity you!!!

Actually if you don't like this then I actually hate you. :wink: clearly no real hate implied!

Edited by Padders

I love pilot watches so it's a bit tough for me to think of THE perfect one... took me a long time to find something like this though, and it's pretty much my "prototypical" pilot watch:

HamiltonPioneer025.jpg

• Like 3

I do like the plain style of a legible 'pilot' watch, I have the Steinhart Ti 47mm with vintaged lume hands, I have  had a acrylic crystal put in too for that vintage feel...

( I don't think this pic shows it though...)

img8363i.jpg

• Like 3

When you learn to fly you still have to do navigation the old fashioned way, regardless of modern technology, and that requires either a clearly legible watch or better still a stop watch. I used a cheap Russian mechanical stop watch from Roy for all my cross country navigation stuff backed up by a Sinn 103 which has a countdown bezel which is perfect for timing to way points.

I get the stop watch bit but just out of interest was there a spec for the type of watch required and could you have done it with a watch alone ??? 

I don't think there was a spec thinking back. It was my instructor that suggested the stop watch. But yes a watch alone would have done, which is where the clearly legible dial comes in with minute markers. That's why the Sinn and the Stowa are good. You can very clearly see, for example, when 13 minutes is up from whatever the start point is. The countdown bezel or the stop watch simply means that you don't have to remember what the time was when you start counting the next leg of the journey to your next way point. But your flight plan will have the times written down too. I remember having to do a lot of things all at once when learning to fly, particularly the navigation, so anything that makes that easier was great. It's a bit like cooking a complicated meal with lots of dishes on the go all at the same time!

I do like the plain style of a legible 'pilot' watch, I have the Steinhart Ti 47mm with vintaged lume hands, I have  had a acrylic crystal put in too for that vintage feel...

( I don't think this pic shows it though...)

img8363i.jpg

Nice Jase. This is why i went for mine but its the 44mm

IMG_1844.jpg

• Like 1

The 

I rather like pilot type watches. Can you tell: THE PRIZE GOES TO YOU Tom

IMG_3686.jpg

Top row (l-r):

Bottom row (l-r):

Ha! Cheers Tom. Can't really tell if you meant me or Jim but I will claim some moral victory anyhow  :thumbsup:

Edited by Padders