• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
tom

Hunting the perfect pilots watch

Many years ago I tried to obtain the perfect pilot watch and researched many makes and indeed bought a few. First was an orfina which to me was too plain, next up a glycine combat too big, a one off from Roy based on the air ministry's issue omega ( off cream dial ). A  Rolex  precision and Tudor.But to my mind the best was is the watch on the sale section ie the omega mark 3 dynamic which has the perfect dial hand combination.

Please go away and study the watches named on the web and any other you wish to include but give considered and technical details for your choice. Remember that personal taste or the lack of same of tin informs our judgement.

Tom

An interesting start which of course raises the basic question,what is a pilots watch in terms of specifications and military issue or not, then design and size.

The best considered and interesting post will be rewarded with a small gift

"Pilot Watches" or the various styles thereof are probably my favourites and I have a variety of watches you could loosely define that way but I don't think that you can really give a specification for one as there have been too many designs that fill the brief or have been designed for the job... I've got them at various price levels too so here's a few...

9309774434_481b4e7758_o.jpg

21759170121_8ccf5c14eb_o.jpg

14632774932_4820eae653_o.jpg

14150797461_e17b1cd45e_o.jpg

8646963103_facbd9e38c_o.jpg

• Like 2

There is no perfect or best pilot watch. Everything is subjective. Even the strap can make or break a watch.

Exactly what he said ^ :thumbsup:  

In fact, there's no such thing as a perfect watch - end of discussion (I'm glad we sorted that out :laugh:)

• Like 1

There is such a thing as the perfect pilots watch I will have you know!

It is a cross between the Damasko DA36 for legibility, Omega Dynamic gen 3 (3 hander IMO) for style, Revue Thomsen Airpseed date pointer for black-hole-esque matt black face, and perhaps something by Hanhart for originality value. The only problem is they are not available in the same case!

That might be a perfect combination for you but maybe not me. Hence the statement. 

One size never fits all.

Edited by hughlle

I've had a few different ones over the years but my personal favourite is the Precista CAF as it's such a great classic design and good size.

IMG20150507144906.jpg

P1030044.jpg

• Like 3

I've had a few different ones over the years but my personal favourite is the Precista CAF as it's such a great classic design and good size.

IMG20150507144906.jpg

That's one that is definitely on my list too, it's a beautifully designed piece,as was the original so good provenance as well.... :)

Edited by artistmike

much prefer my pilots to stay focused on take offs and landing that piss about with irrelevant watches ... 

that CAF ain't too shabby though :thumbsup:

Edited by Rotundus
  • Like 1

Already mentioned, but my vote probably goes to the DA36 Black even though it may not be considered by the purists as a 'pilot' due to the presence of a discrete day/date window.

So, considered and technical details for my choice...... erm ..... because I like it.

"Pilot Watches" or the various styles thereof are probably my favourites and I have a variety of watches you could loosely define that way but I don't think that you can really give a specification for one as there have been too many designs that fill the brief or have been designed for the job... I've got them at various price levels too so here's a few...

9309774434_481b4e7758_o.jpg

perfect.png

• Like 2

I rather like pilot type watches. Can you tell:

IMG_3686.jpg

Terrible photo therefore I will be impressed if anyone can name them all...

EDIT: forgot one but its only tenuously a pilots watch IMO (stock photo):

P1010525_1.jpg

Edited by Padders
  • Like 2

Breitling Aerospace

ED278B98-1B58-43C4-A58E-A64EF9F96E14_zps

Because it's what most commercial airline pilots wear. Do I win a prize?

Yes,  ten minutes in the loo with an air hostess to try out your undercarriage. 

TS_hot_emirates_stewardess.jpg

If that isn't a considered reply,  I don't know what is.

Edited by badgersdad
To put a picture of a pretty girl in.

I know plenty of serving (and recently retired) pilots for both crab air and RNAS and none of them wear that, regardless of what they were issued :wink:

I know plenty of serving (and recently retired) pilots for both crab air and RNAS and none of them wear that, regardless of what they were issued :wink:

Actually I think I mean FAA, RNAS these days refers more to the bases than personnel of course.

Yes,  ten minutes in the loo with an air hostess to try out your undercarriage. 

TS_hot_emirates_stewardess.jpg

If that isn't a considered reply,  I don't know what is.

Cheeky :laugh: