• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

loose crown - best fix?

I have just bought a watch that, whilst doing the date wiggle to set the date, the crown unscrewed itself.  No damge to the threads, but what is the best threadlocker to use in your opinions?

I have locktite 242, but this is medium strength and it takes two hours to set.  Are their better products/methods to use?

Down the local garage and borrow their welding torch! :nono:

Your biggest problem is making sure nothing gets to the innards of the watch. This will usually mean removing the crown/stem assembly from the watch entirely. I've had some success using a pin vice to hold the stem, then tightening the crown onto the stem with a very minimum amount of threadlock material, fixing the pin vice in a "downwards position" so that the threadlock stuff doesn't run in towards where the stem goes into the watch whilst it sets, but down towards the crown, an upside down "T" position.

I don't know what a professional would use - -

I had a loose crown which wouldnt stay in place without me using a lot more force than I was comfortable with and I wasnt keen to use a threadlock just in case I needed to work on it again.  I used a spot of Acrylic satin Black Tamiya model paint on the stem threads, it sets in minutes seems to hold well after 24 hours but would break easily with a quick soak in IsoPropyl Alchohol.

i recently snapped two seiko stems as they had been glued in place with something,had i known they were fixed with something i think i would have used a bit of heat on them,  i don't use anything when putting stems into a crown, i would have thought being tight was good enough

17 minutes ago, Bruce said:

i don't use anything when putting stems into a crown, i would have thought being tight was good enough

I totally agree with this statement but must admit i do use hermetite nutlock on certain crowns (usually screw down) as i have it left over from my mechanics days , just applied very sparingly with a pin , it is the soft setting type so doesn't set really hard , so reduces any risk of breakage hopefully.

12 hours ago, Bruce said:

i recently snapped two seiko stems as they had been glued in place with something,had i known they were fixed with something i think i would have used a bit of heat on them,  i don't use anything when putting stems into a crown, i would have thought being tight was good enough

If Loctite was used heat would work but if Superglue was used I think you would have to use enough heat to melt the metal.  I broke a joint that had been superglued on a Car Gear Knob once using a freezing spray.  I think the metal contracted quicker than the glue and the join was broken allowing me to unscrew it.

57 minutes ago, Thomasr said:

hi scott, at work we use blue locktite for stems and stainless screws, green for crown tubes and red lactate for gold and white gold screws

so what would seiko use? any idea?