• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Nigelp

Quartz Wednesday?

For fear of duplication but I can't see it. And I've got two now. In fact all my automatics have gone in favour of Quartz. I am the modern man:laugh:.

Tanya waiting for the rain to stop on her chair (actually our old telephone seat) In the conservatory. Can't really call it a sun lounge more a rain lounge this morning.

22952939131_d689716ae7_k.jpg

was in the process of kick starting this a while ago and ended up as phone support for a field engineer ... :argue:

anyhoo , this whilst working from home (switching to a casio if called out)

DSCF1337.jpg

11 minutes ago, RWP said:

Quartz for ease of use and accuracy. Mechanical fo the joy of craftsmanship?

i always find this way of thinking amusing - do people really think that most mechanical watches are fettled by hand, in a little room, over a period of weeks, by a bewhiskered old apron clad wheel tapper ?

i suppose unless you have worked in the electrical or electronics industry its hard to see and 'craft' in their resultant products ... shame considering how reliant we seem to be on them :taz:

Edited by Rotundus

I went through a period of feeling that an automatic was innately better than a quartz. I think It was during my early period of the hobby when all my previous watches had been cheap through away quartz (as of course quartz are the mass market choice). 

When I started to get more interested in watches I went for automatics thinking as I say they were in some way simply superior. I don't feel like this any more. This is due to the fact I worked my way through cheap automatics say £60 a time to moderately expensive ones for example my Longines HC at circa £800.

What I then began to realise is just like automatics there are basic quartz and amazing quartz movements. Just like there are cheap mundane automatic movements and expensive ones.

To illustrate this. The quartz movement in the above Omega will be more finely made than a £15 Chinese automatic (even with my very limited knowledge I feel safe making that statement).

A prejudice appears to have built up against quartz and I think its simply because most cheap watches are quartz. However when you start to explore things there are as many mass produced cheap automatics which are on the same level as a cheap quartz. 

To take this up a level the Longines HC I had was a nice automatic (Swiss ETA). However it was less desirable than the Omega Seamaster Quartz which I now have. To me at least.   

Then there are the Grand Seiko Quartz some of which are amazing. About as far removed from the cheap Chinese automatic. As a new Rolls Royce is from the horse and cart. Technology moves on:).

I think what I am trying to say (badly) Is I prefer a finely bred quartz to a cheap automatic and therefore that I feel automatics are not more finely crafted per-se.

This is a nice little video of one of perhaps the best quartz. I think It might beat many an oily automatic:thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/GqMc1HmnTrc

Edited by Nigelp

URL]just put a new battery in this had to look on the net how to adjust the watch after refitting the battery as i had forgotten how to do it.

IMGP0723.jpg

Edited by bowie
picture

Got this recently in the Christopher Ward half price sale. Originally on leather strap.  Can't make my mind up but think it's a touch small for me so might be going back to Mr Ward. 

IMG_4450.JPG

31 minutes ago, Gpts said:

Got this recently in the Christopher Ward half price sale. Originally on leather strap.  Can't make my mind up but think it's a touch small for me so might be going back to Mr Ward. 

IMG_4450.JPG

I remember this and I also remember commenting at the time that I would go for 42mm rather than 38mm. If it helps I was wrong and that looks fine on your wrist in the pictures. 

In fact I have a brand new unopened Orient Mako XL 45MM in Blue which I am now sure is going to be way to big for me 38mm would be much better:thumbsup:

Having automatic from cheap Chinese to Tissot and stops in between I am not labouring under the illusion that some movements are not slung together from pressed pieces.

However even some cheap autos have reasonable movements,  a couple of Invictas ( yes I know) with Seiko movements and a slightly more expensive Rotary with a citizen Miyota movement.

Most of my watches are quartz but I do find more craftsmanship in mechanical movements.  Some of the Quartz with unusual complications, like a Seiko Velatura Yachting timer ( sans Yacht) are equally fascinating .

I stick to my amusing opinion engineering background or not.

2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

I remember this and I also remember commenting at the time that I would go for 42mm rather than 38mm. If it helps I was wrong and that looks fine on your wrist in the pictures. 

In fact I have a brand new unopened Orient Mako XL 45MM in Blue which I am now sure is going to be way to big for me 38mm would be much better:thumbsup:

I know what you mean Nigel and thanks, but I think the pictures are deceptive. The 38mm is to small and the 42mm is definitely too big - I think 40mm is the perfect size for a dive watch for me, so likely as not they're both going to be going. 

Seamaster f300hz today. 

If all else is equal, mechanical watches are sexier that quartz. They just are, IMHO of course.

20150830_090145_edit_1440922018795.jpg

Edited by badgersdad

1 hour ago, bowie said:

URL]just put a new battery in this had to look on the net how to adjust the watch after refitting the battery as i had forgotten how to do it.

IMGP0723.jpg

Badgersdad likes this.

8 minutes ago, SBryantgb said:

bh5.jpg

BadgersDad really likes this.

1 hour ago, richy176 said:

Got to keep Nigel happy :-

c796cc65-d993-4c7e-a8a9-4f9c37b22dd4.jpg

very nice:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, badgersdad said:

Seamaster f300hz today. 

If all else is equal, mechanical watches are sexier that quartz. They just are, IMHO of course.

20150830_090145_edit_1440922018795.jpg

Its a classic looker that you did well when you chose that:yes: 

10 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

Shouldn't like it but I do 

http://646496DB-63C5-4193-8D22-5A7ACDE23740.jpg

What's not to like, The colours are great and there is a touch of the 60's in there..... Strap is a great choice

Say something about mine Nigel (even if it's not nice) I don't want to fall out of favour with you!  You seem fiendly but you are obviously bonkers, and therefore possibly dangerous if upset?

If you're fed up of seeing the same old picture of my daily please do say and I'll take another, honest! :sadwalk::laugh:

Edited by Timez Own

Nice Sekonda.......looks good.  Nothing wrong with them at all, I recently bought a simple time date Sekonda from Amazon for 19 quid.  It was just good value with an almost military look.

I know.........pics.   Things being complicated by I pad.  That's my excuse.