Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Nigelp

Should watches be tailor made?

Recommended Posts

With clothes we can go to a tailors and have our clothes made to fit us perfectly. Nothing quiet feels or looks like a Savile Row suit. I'm just having one made here...http://www.jasperlittman.com/?gclid=CL2Y0bLYmskCFaQIwwodyzYH1g. With a weighty collared jacket for winter wear. It struck me during the fitting as to why there are few specialist watch tailors. 

It all seems to be off the peg sizes like man at ASDA.

S/M are well catered for in the 36 to 42mm category most men feel fine in this size range.

However what about the growing population in this country. Whilst I was having my suit made. I saw one poor chap and he was huge. I thought It such a shame. Even with a large suit tailor made he could struggle to feel just right. He seemed to be puffing and panting to get into what looked like a tent. Surely he must struggle to find the correct size of watch? His wrists seemed even more out of proportion and I felt sorry for him.

Never the less he did look better once he had been fitted. It just made me wonder as to why this service does not exist for watches. Given the 'growing population':yes: 

 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless I have misunderstood the question, which is possible:laugh:.

Watches can and are adjusted to fit at point of sale in a jewellers and some online retailers.

Leather straps etc are of course no problem usually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure with the right contacts and the coin to match it's possible to get a one off from scratch creation made. There was a lad on here made his own with some pretty basic machine tools and a lot of skill.

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand special design watches are available now on this very forum.....

 

just checkout the "nothing" thread in the sales section:thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, PC-Magician said:

A custom made case would be rather expensive to say the least.

His name escapes me at the moment but I seem to remember it wasn't really silly money. A couple of thousand euro or there abouts.

If you think about a watch case there isn't actually much to it if you had access to some decent cnc machine tools and were a bit handy with cadcam it wouldn't be to difficult. 

Edited by BondandBigM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tixntox said:

I prefer mine to be Taylor made! :thumbsup:

Mike

Ah you noyticed:laugh:

12 minutes ago, William_Wilson said:

Beat me to it. :biggrin:

Later,
William

And me:laugh::laugh:

Gentleman please

22fe4638-d675-47f8-9726-5f43e27bb084.jpg

11 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I'm sure with the right contacts and the coin to match it's possible to get a one off from scratch creation made. There was a lad on here made his own with some pretty basic machine tools and a lot of skill.

Mr Bond your suit is ready

LookLess_Skyfall.jpg

10 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

A custom made case would be rather expensive to say the least.

But people do have the money. I just wonder if it happens? Big people big watches?

hugewatch.gif

 

 

https://youtu.be/ixb5YiscjMQ

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

His name escapes me at the moment but I seem to remember it wasn't really silly money. A couple of thousand euro or there abouts.

If you think about a watch case there isn't actually much to it if you had access to some decent cnc machine tools and were a bit handy with cadcam it wouldn't be to difficult. 

The main issue would be pleasing the customer, we can be very fickle at times.

Or to put it another way Damn Awkward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, William_Wilson said:

That's no the Royal Taylor!

Later,
William

 

 

 

nice one:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2015, 8:02:47, Nigelp said:

Mr Bond your suit is ready

LookLess_Skyfall.jpg

 

 

I can do better than that, I had my own tailor

DSCN0430%201_zps6bn2zqwi.jpg

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

His name escapes me at the moment but I seem to remember it wasn't really silly money. A couple of thousand euro or there abouts.

If you think about a watch case there isn't actually much to it if you had access to some decent cnc machine tools and were a bit handy with cadcam it wouldn't be to difficult. 

Sorry I copied the wrong one Bond...I shall sack Q. 

rpr_img1268139962smy.jpg

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

I can better than that

DSCN0430%201_zps6bn2zqwi.jpg

:biggrin:

Well knock me down you are the real Bond:swoon::laugh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nigel, how do you think these threads up? 

A watch is a matter if taste,  and an expression of the artistry of the watchmaker (with exceptions,  obviously). You might as well tailor make a Miles Davis album - its missing the point.  It's for you or it isn't.  If it isn't,  find one that is. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has already been rather wittily pointed out, that, to some degree, is the Joy of Roy (sequel to the Joy of Sex apparently).

A watch that, to a degree at least, is to your specs.

How many people will have a watch likes yours? Moreover, you have a watch that meets your needs and not just generic requirements.

I like that!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, badgersdad said:

Nigel, how do you think these threads up? 

A watch is a matter if taste,  and an expression of the artistry of the watchmaker (with exceptions,  obviously). You might as well tailor make a Miles Davis album - its missing the point.  It's for you or it isn't.  If it isn't,  find one that is. 

good point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a point.... yes. The point being that a watch is readily understood as a consumer durable (like a spin dryer or a microwave).

That is the normal perception.

But why could it not be (ideally) like a landscape garden? You tell the gardener what you would like - he umms and ahrrrs - comes back with some alternative suggestions based upon his expertise and experience and, you agree on what you are both happy with.

Worked for Capability Brown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gonville Bromhead said:

It's a point.... yes. The point being that a watch is readily understood as a consumer durable (like a spin dryer or a microwave).

That is the normal perception.

But why could it not be (ideally) like a landscape garden? You tell the gardener what you would like - he umms and ahrrrs - comes back with some alternative suggestions based upon his expertise and experience and, you agree on what you are both happy with.

Worked for Capability Brown.

ad idem. I like you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I'm sure with the right contacts and the coin to match it's possible to get a one off from scratch creation made. There was a lad on here made his own with some pretty basic machine tools and a lot of skill.

 

Was it this guy?

sadly he seems to have stopped visiting

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2015, 8:16:04, Nigelp said:

 

Well knock me down you are the real Bond:swoon::laugh:

Correct !!!!

 

It got a bit tight on me and it was the only thing I saved when I got rid of my chubster gear, gave me a bit of an incentive to eat less pies 

:laugh: :laugh:

 

Actually it was from a Chinese tailors in Singapore, one of those "come back tomorrow" places but surprisingly it was a really good fit and the quality was spot on right down to the pink silk lining.

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, handlehall said:

 

Was it this guy?

sadly he seems to have stopped visiting

Thank you chaps for bearing with me and putting some reason into my rhyme. It is not such a daft idea is it? The kickstarter watches were in my subconscious when I was in the tailors. You know how it is I just had to get the thoughts together. This has helped. Like thinking aloud really.  

3 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Correct !!!!

 

It got a bit tight on me and it was the only thing I saved when I got rid of my chubster gear, gave me a bit of an incentive to eat less pies 

:laugh: :laugh:

 

Actually it was from a Chinese tailors in Singapore, one of those "come back tomorrow" places but surprisingly it was a really good fit and the quality was spot on right down to the pink silk lining.

:biggrin:

:laugh: well done mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...