• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Gonville Bromhead

Silly prejudices

I put this here (as opposed to another part of the forum) simply because one of my prejudices (of the admittedly 'silly' variety) involves watches.

Prejudice means (as you all know) 'pre-judgment.' It means that you see one detail and you therefore come to a conclusion about the whole. This is either confirmed or otherwise by experience.

My silly prejudices:

(1). Rectangular watches. No, I don't mean (say) the Tank Watch (PofW wears one of those on a leather strap - he's alight). No, I mean the big, stretched watches. In my experience (reinforced time and again sadly) the wearer is sure to be a ******. I concede that this may not always be so: Could have been a gift etc. But as a rule............

(2). By extension - people who think stretched limos are 'classy,' Say no more.

(3). Sorry, cars again, Volvo Estates (or 'Shootingbrakes' as my father would call them). Not so much the car, but rather the people who elect to drive them. Especially those with a fish symbol on the back. I think they must believe that they are insured by God. When I see one of these on the motorway, I actually move lanes to get away.

As I say, merely SILLY prejudices. Just ones sadly borne out of much experience.

Do have any?? Oh and don't start with '...I don't like people with silly prejudices.' Not funny and not clever. We ALL have them.

• Like 1

Meatloaf

(the 'music' produced by the singer/band,.....not the foodstuff).

Anyone who likes listening to Meatloaf.  Should not be allowed to vote.)

Guest Bruce

as a species we are very much ruled by first impressions, hence " first impressions last" this is more to do with meeting people for the first time, but i am sure it covers a lot more in life..

IE i decide within a couple of seconds whether i like a watch or regardless of make, also if i see a dog wearing i jacket....its.... oh for gods sake !!:angry: people [male or female] who try to make themselves more interesting by dyeing their hair pink or purple of some other odd colour....it doesn't work !! :angry: people who buy fish and chips with curry sauce and pickled eggs and then ask for diet coke...it doesn't work !! :angry:...i could go on and on, but then people would get prejudiced against me :biggrin: scuse the drivel its all IMO of course

Edited by Bruce

Insured by God?  Great idea, going to save me hundreds.

Trouble is God has seen Mrs RWP drive! Could get turned down.

Edited by RWP
  • Like 1

Old people who were educated in the olden days who think they know more than me and might be partially senile:laugh:. Is that pre-judgemental enough?

Edited by Nigelp

19 minutes ago, RWP said:

Insured by God?  Great idea, going to save me hundreds.

Trouble is God has seen Mrs RWP drive! Could get turned down.

23154068482_dacd409c94.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Bruce
Just now, handlehall said:

People who try too hard to be "wacky" and lovably eccentric.

oh...good one...got to agree there ...does my head in :wacko:

13 minutes ago, dobra said:

People who are obsessed with Me, Me, Me.

Er, what's wrong with that.......?  :whistling:

:laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigelp said:

Old people who were educated in the olden days who think they know more than me and might be partially senile:laugh:. Is that pre-judgemental enough?

Most old people were educated in the olden days - when they were children:partytime:

Having followed some of your posts , not only do I think I know more than you but pretty sure my dog does as well - but that might just be my senile side speaking.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, dobra said:

People who are obsessed with Me, Me, Me.

Mike

What's so special about you that gets people obsessed??  :partytime:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Having followed some of your posts , not only do I think I know more than you but pretty sure my dog does as well 

Excellent insult, I like that one :laugh:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Most old people were educated in the olden days - when they were children:partytime:

Excellent :biggrin:

BTW Nigel, as it says in my signature...

" Grumpy (retired) old man & proud of it!!!

IMO no one under the age of 40 should be allowed out unless accompanied by a responsible adult.":laugh:

• Like 2

Ok, this will get me in hot water......Cyclists.

They think they own the road, they cause bottlenecks, ride two abreast,  think pavements are an extension of the highway and generally raise my blood pressure.

All cyclists should have to buy a permit ( 20 quid a year?) and be required to carry third party insurance.

Rant over.

Edited by RWP
  • Like 3

RWP - completely agree. It has long been a mystery to me why the Highway Code even permits them to cycle two abreast?

Here are my two:

(1). BMW drivers. Why can they not use this thing called the 'indicator'? Everybody else does. Do they just want to be different?? Is the switch kept under the back seat?!?

Oh yes, and they save their best neglect of this rather important light whilst they are circumventing roundabouts. 

Come the revolution.....no more Nazi staff car drivers!!

(2). People who, of the face of it, are conscientious. They are out walking their dog and the dogs want to do a dump. They clear up the dump (well done!) and put it in a plastic bag. So far.... so good. They then tie up the plastic bag and hang it from the nearest tree or fence. What a lovely sight it makes, especially a collection of them. If only Wordsworth were with us still, how well he could capture the scene in verse.

In my view the punishment should fit the crime. Anybody found doing this should be hanged from the nearest tree of fence.

If you are looking for volunteers, you know where I am.

Oooooh, ....feel so much better now.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gonville Bromhead said:

I put this here (as opposed to another part of the forum) simply because one of my prejudices (of the admittedly 'silly' variety) involves watches.

Prejudice means (as you all know) 'pre-judgment.' It means that you see one detail and you therefore come to a conclusion about the whole. This is either confirmed or otherwise by experience.

My silly prejudices:

(1). Rectangular watches. No, I don't mean (say) the Tank Watch (PofW wears one of those on a leather strap - he's alight). No, I mean the big, stretched watches. In my experience (reinforced time and again sadly) the wearer is sure to be a ******. I concede that this may not always be so: Could have been a gift etc. But as a rule............

(2). By extension - people who think stretched limos are 'classy,' Say no more.

(3). Sorry, cars again, Volvo Estates (or 'Shootingbrakes' as my father would call them). Not so much the car, but rather the people who elect to drive them. Especially those with a fish symbol on the back. I think they must believe that they are insured by God. When I see one of these on the motorway, I actually move lanes to get away.

As I say, merely SILLY prejudices. Just ones sadly borne out of much experience.

Do have any?? Oh and don't start with '...I don't like people with silly prejudices.' Not funny and not clever. We ALL have them.

I refuse to take part in this discussion since I drive a Volvo V70, which I like very much and will never have a God fish on it:yes:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

Interesting..... who (in the media) do you think would epitomize this?

Mr Richtea, where have you been old chap?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RWP said:

They think they own the road, they cause bottlenecks, ride two abreast,  think pavements are an extension of the highway and generally raise my blood pressure.

All cyclists should have to buy a permit ( 20 quid a year?) and be required to carry third party insurance.

Rant over.

What is even worse are the self righteous ones who tell us we are killing the planet with our vehicle fumes.

How much fuel is wasted and excess polution created by the arogant twat who refuses to pull over on his childrens transport device to allow a lorry, a bus and twenty odd other motor vehicles to pass and change up a gear or five after being restricted to 20 miles a bloody hour and less?????????

Green transport my arse! I'd like to see them deliver all the food to just one supermarket for just one day with their kiddies toys! They would have us all starve I tell you!  Gentlemen I rest my case, (until the next time :laugh:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RWP said:

All cyclists should have to buy a permit ( 20 quid a year?) and be required to carry third party insurance

3/10 for the rant. Some cyclists are c**ks just like car drivers.

3 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

RWP - completely agree. It has long been a mystery to me why the Highway Code even permits them to cycle two abreast?

To you both, go on I'll bite. I presume you're not cyclists so suggest you try it before criticising. Walk a mile in a man's shoes and all that. If you'd recently cycled on roads then you'd understand why in some situations why riding is 2 abreast is recommended so that the cyclists 'own the space' they occupy on the road. This is not because they think they actually own the road and have gone out on their bikes to annoy/delay motorists but to deter the idiotic drivers who can't wait 30secs for a safe overtaking place so instead try to squeeze past often risking injury to the cyclist.

As for the third party insurance, I'd be fine with that and suspect in reality I'm personally liable should I cause an accident. Chances are it's not going to have the consequences that a tonne of metal travelling at 70mph would though.

3 hours ago, RWP said:

Rant over.

What is even worse are the self righteous ones who tell us we are killing the planet with our vehicle fumes.

How much fuel is wasted and excess polution created by the arogant twat who refuses to pull over on his childrens transport device to allow a lorry, a bus and twenty odd other motor vehicles to pass and change up a gear or five after being restricted to 20 miles a bloody hour and less?????????

Green transport my arse! I'd like to see them deliver all the food to just one supermarket for just one day with their kiddies toys! They would have us all starve I tell you!  Gentlemen I rest my case, (until the next time :laugh:)

I'm with you on the insurance big time, perhaps if they knew theywere going to be held accountable for their actions the may behave a little better?

I will add that just because a cyclist is being a knob and holding up a mile of traffic that overtaking one blind makes you a knob too!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timez Own said:

I suspect an insignificantly tiny percentage though please feel free to provide some facts to the contrary. 

I'm not a regular cyclist and contribute my fair share to the greenhouse gases, I am however wise enough to recognise that some people are much 'greener' than me and slating them for self evidently being so isn't a sustainable argument (see what I did there? :thumbsup:).

7 hours ago, Nigelp said:
3 hours ago, RWP said:
14 minutes ago, Timez Own said:

Rant over.

Now now Nigel, those of us of a certain age know you meant say

"Old people who were educated in the olden days and not only know more than me. but have the experience to apply that knowledge and are almost always right!"

:whistling:

Timez Own and RWP, I've corrected the typo on my copy of your postings, I KNOW you meant £120 a year for a permit!

• Like 3