UK Watch Forum banner

Being nosy and watches.

2K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  RWP 
#1 ·
I just wondered if watches are your FIRST interest and why?

They are my first interest I think and have been for a long time. With me they encapsulate design, function, craftsmanship and variety in a way little else does, and can be collected on most budgets in one form or the other. Love em.

i used to collect coins but still have an interest in old maps.........

23450839541_f45baab209_b.jpg

How about you?

Cheers.

See less See more
#9 ·
The great thing about watches is not what they are, but where they take you.

For example,.....to maps in this instance.

Some great maps of Ynys Mon, The County Palatine of Lancaster and Bury (home of the best market in the country). Thanks RWP and mcb2007

Must show you both my etchings some time :biggrin: .

#13 ·
Tried bikes but fell off a lot so gave that up and stick to cars, this is just one from back in the day and before the boy racers get in on the case going in a straight line is a bit more difficult than you first might think especially when you're sat scrunched up in the back and can't see where you're going.

:laugh: :laugh:

DSC_07901_zpsfrr6tv5j.jpg

DSC_07911_zpsi0bjxlqr.jpg

DSC_07921_zpswqxuftdj.jpg

#19 ·
Apart from the 710 (would someone please explain that one if it isn't to do with the OIL filler cap joke) and kids, my other loves are everything Laurel and Hardy, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and books (any type, real or electronical).

My man cave:

The first one may only work on something you can zoom in on and scroll round

22908231804_da7e582219.jpg

17026549318_63921f41c4.jpg

17214305765_9eea883b2c.jpg

16594105753_26fbc6f646.jpg

This one is my wife's only concession to my obsession, and sits at the top of the stairs.

22909438393_3e4dae4730.jpg

No pics of H2G2 stuff, but I have a bit of everything - books, radio series, TV series, Audio books etc.

#20 ·
Apart from the 710 (would someone please explain that one if it isn't to do with the OIL filler cap joke) and kids, my other loves are everything Laurel and Hardy, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and books (any type, real or electronical).

My man cave:

The first one may only work on something you can zoom in on and scroll round

17214305765_9eea883b2c.jpg

16594105753_26fbc6f646.jpg

This one is my wife's only concession to my obsession, and sits at the top of the stairs.

22909438393_3e4dae4730.jpg

No pics of H2G2 stuff, but I have a bit of everything - books, radio series, TV series, Audio books etc.
I join you in the 710 thing. Cosy man cave. Was Laurel and Hardys dog called " laughing gravy" or have I been misled?

#21 ·
710 is the oil cap joke.

My first hobby M/Bikes then cars.Got into watchesd when I could no longer maintain the veterans due to health problems. Sold all the cars and most of my kit to stop me trying to work on the motors, then got bored and turned to watches being as they were mechanical and I could play in the house at a desk, Rest is history. Commander you are dead on no joke driving in a straight line, used to spanner a home grown Cortina Savage at the pod back in the 70's tried the 1/4 a couple of times not for me.

Kev

#23 ·
Commander you are dead on no joke driving in a straight line, used to spanner a home grown Cortina Savage at the pod back in the 70's tried the 1/4 a couple of times not for me.
The Pop had a big block Ford V8 getting on for 8,000cc with a huge Holley double pump carb on it, it was almost gallons to the mile rather than the other way around, it weighed nothing so was reasonably quick and could pick up the front wheels off the line when it was on proper slicks, surprisingly it's all in the start and the first couple of hundred yards if you can master the jump from the green light you can easily beat much quicker cars. I also ran it on the road now and again in the better weather and had been out after a bit of a tune up to give it a try, hadn't bothered to put the wheels on with the proper tyres was pulled over, the first thing the plod said after a look round it "you've no tread on the rear tyres son" and then it was "where's the seats"

:laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: RWP
#27 ·
guns, then cars (many) - and then a Harley hog ( 1941 knuckle head 74 c.I.). when I drove an ariel square 4, this guy had for sale, I realized this was too deadly for me ( the old man was right) watches were always there - if you had a job. after many light and heavy jobs, I am now heading back to watches, - vinn

#31 ·
Back in a previous life I went to the LA Roadster show, wall to wall Hot Rods and Customs, it was just something else. Coddington had a tent and whilst the tv show made them look like a bunch of inept jokers the actual cars were something else all together, I'd venture to say works of art.

MVC-404F.jpg

MVC-409F.jpg

:)

Reactions: RWP
#32 ·
I can only offer Banger racing on a mud track near Santa Pod. We used to pick up mot failures and take out the glass everywhere , put a small fuel tank on the backseat , a scaffolding cage around the driver and a quick sprayover with the name "Geordie Boys" on the side......and away we went. :thumbsup:

Most cars didn't last a meet,but I had a Humber Hawk lasted three, including the demolition Derbys. Great fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.