• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
foxint

2015-12-19: Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your Families

Gelukkig Kerstmis

joyeux Noël

Feliz Navidad

诞节快

Thank you to everyone. I really could not have got this far without your support and belief in me.

Thank you.

It is now school holidays and the weather is in the 30’s and will continue warm until February. So no White Christmas for us. The Kinderfocken are in full Christmas mode and we are expecting Opa (my Dad) sometime next week…Ho-Ho-Ho.

My apologies for the patchy supply during 2015. I have spent much of 2015 trying to fix.

From the outset all my watches are made to order and shipped in the sequence of order receipt. I have been working with a very experienced Master Watchmaker and we have placed our emphasis on getting it right rather than building to a time frame. So the watches take as long as the watches take.

After much time, effort, many broken promises, much disappointment and some surprises (poor quality from some Swiss assembly houses), there is a new assembly process.

As before I source the best parts at the price points from around the globe. It may seem strange that the only thing that is bought locally is the cardboard outer box. But that is another discussion about the demise of Australian manufacturing….

From 2016 all OWC Watches will be assembled in 3 global locations: Switzerland; China; and Australia. I almost wrote “Asia”, but they will be assembled in China – fact.

IMG_3087_zpsm3jvd4is.jpg

All the parts come together here in Orange. All parts are examined and those that are not right are fixed or throw away – that is that.

As we assemble the watches (as needed plus some) the parts are again inspected. Watches are assembled timed and tested. Final inspection and water resistance testing is done again before they are send to the client.

This will facilitate faster assembly and will (hopefully) dovetail into future sales increases and the new models. The components remain the same and the QC of these remains.

After this process of discovery, the Chinese can produce quality as good as the Swiss and hence I remain country agnostic, but generally, the plan is:

1)      Watches with Soprod movements if assembled in Switzerland will be legally entitled to be called “Swiss Made”;

2)      Watches with the Seagull movements if assembled in Switzerland will not; and

3)      Watches with either movement assembled outside of Switzerland will also not be entitled to the “Swiss Made” Monika.

It appears that in addition to the Swiss touching my product, they have very kindly put “Swiss Made” on the dial. I will have to double check if this remains for the future.

In reality, most of the watches with the Soprod movements will be assembled in Switzerland and be Swiss Made. Special, bespoke and other non-main stream product with the Swiss movement may be assembled outside of Switzerland and will not legally be termed Swiss Made.

When we have made all the inventory movements, I expect costs to normalise. Prices do rise and as quality rises and features change. I cannot do much about this.

The next models are in the system. They have not been made and prices have not been finalised and as with most things will rise. But this is not set in stone.

I have re-designed the Oyster bracelet. According to Bob Bracelets, it is made. I had to start somewhere and in hindsight perhaps I should have done things differently. The bracelet is the same but different – most changes will be undetectable.

I have listened to the market and will be discussing with Bob an additional clasp. It will hopefully be a screw off/on option with micro adjustment. As for costing, timing and final design I cannot say. I have some ideas, but if you want to throw some ideas into the mix be quick.

Groeten

Daan

• Like 4