• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Geordie76

Can only afford to get this right once

Of course I could suggest a watch from 1976 for you, and a watch from your son's birth year if you didn't need something new.  You would easily get matching Omegas and he wouldn't need to wait for you to fall off the perch before he got a watch!

Before anyone moans I suggested other, new watches this morning that had nothing to do with birth year watches! :aggressive:

1 hour ago, dowsing said:

Congrats on turning 40, I'll be there in a few months myself and have treated myself to a Seiko SBDX012 for the occasion.

For £2,500 if you go the second-hand route you could just about get a Rolex Explorer II GMT, but it depends on what you like. So have a look through some of the Friday threads on here to see what you like the look of.

I would endorse this. That amount of cash will get you a 16570 Explorer II, in my view one of the nicest and best value sports Rolex you can get. Here's my old one, which cost exactly £2500:

P7180050_zps102b2f24.jpg

Should add if you do change your mind, you should get all of your money back if it's in the same condition.

Edited by apm101
  • Like 2

Hi everyone,  been doing more research.  What are your thoughts on a Tag Heuer Carrera Day Date.  I have seen some good ones used at £1800, I'd appreciate your feedback.  Can I also thank you all for your advice so far

16 hours ago, artistmike said:

I too would think of Longines, they are a respected brand, with history and as part of the Swatch group, you'll likely have the ability to have company servicing for a good many years to come... Something premium from their range, like this below, would be my choice at that price level....

17350312_1_460.png

Ok I will check them out thanks. 

9 hours ago, Geordie76 said:

Hi everyone,  been doing more research.  What are your thoughts on a Tag Heuer Carrera Day Date.  I have seen some good ones used at £1800, I'd appreciate your feedback.  Can I also thank you all for your advice so far

Ok I will check them out thanks. 

You will lose a bucket of cash on most Tag's if you decide to sell or trade in at some point. Other than the Monacos they don't have much desirability on the aftermarket. Sounds harsh but it is true. I would stick to Omega or Rolex if resale matters. Brands like Longines and Oris will also suffer but not nearly as bad as Tag. Also take a look a look at Sinn and Damasko for reasonably priced Chronos. German made with Swiss bits but jolly good all the same. 

• Like 2

I know you said you have looked at Speedmasters but if it was my money id be considering this

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-311-30-42-30-01-005.html

Its an iconic watch, always in demand and resale values are respectable, like i said with your budget i dont think you can buy better 

You said Iconic twice! That would probably be my recommendation too and as the Omega price trend is up I doubt you would lose much going forward. 

To the OP, Be aware that the 'Moonwatch' is pretty archaic as the basic design hasn't changed in nearly 60 years. No auto winding, no date which is why I personally wouldn't buy one unless it was too cheap to ignore. That is part of why they are sought after though, timeless some would no doubt call it. 

Edited by Padders

Hi Monty, thanks for the link. I know I was criticised for saying I wasn't impressed with the Omega (which is the watch I originally wanted), it was because the Speedmaster Professional had a hexalite (not sapphire) crystal, and it wasn't an automatic. I honestly thought for the money it would have those as my Seiko Sportura does this. The reason why I said last night I was considering a Tag Heuer Carrera was that it has all those features.

Sorry if I seem to be a pain everyone. 

3 hours ago, Geordie76 said:

Hi Monty, thanks for the link. I know I was criticised for saying I wasn't impressed with the Omega (which is the watch I originally wanted), it was because the Speedmaster Professional had a hexalite (not sapphire) crystal, and it wasn't an automatic. I honestly thought for the money it would have those as my Seiko Sportura does this. The reason why I said last night I was considering a Tag Heuer Carrera was that it has all those features.

Not a pain at all, the original moo watch is as you describe unchanged but for many that is the attraction

i do love spending other peoples money so how about this one

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?o=palagos&q=pelagos

personally i love this watch

hopefully this ticks a few more boxes? 

Edited end to say i am tempted to get the blue one myself at the moment after hearing very good things about the new movement 

Edited by Montybaber
  • Like 1

If you want auto and sapphire then the original Speedy is out of the equation, shame though because pick a good one up and it'll only go one way, same direction as the ones on Apollo rockets :thumbsup:

It is a genuine classic.

4 hours ago, Geordie76 said:

Don't necessarily be put of a TH Carrera if it's what you fancy they are nice watches. And at the end of the day if you buy new you'll take a hit on all but a few watches and even then on some of those you'll be lucky to break even.

:)

Add a bit and get a Sub. Way things are going you will double your money in a few years and you can spend some of the profit on the Speedy you know you want.:)

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I looked at the Tudor pelegrs but not for me. I think with it budget used is the best option. I have to be realistic and my my budget (wife has interviened and its now £2000) I could get a good used Tag Careers Day Date or a older Omega so that's where I am going to conentrate my search on. 

• Like 1

Have a look at watchfinder and get a nice little Omega Seamaster 120 with the smp reduced case in mint condition for less than half your budget, the savings might even buy a speedy reduced next year. And so on it goes. Tell the wife:)

• Like 1

At the end of the day whatever watch you choose, I don't think you will be selling it as you will do your upmust to keep it in the family.

My old man bought me a TAG for my 21st, I didnt choose the model and it wasn't the watch I would have chosen if I was with him when he made the purchase. But that didnt matter because my dad bought it for me so I will never be letting it go, it is a keeper.

What i'm getting at is that it can be any watch brand, type or any price. Just make sure it one you like and one you think your son will like regardless of brand.

Listen to the guys on here and do your research. Good luck!

• Like 1

there is something to be said about birth years. My fav is a 72 Geneve and if you were born in '76 the masters from Zenith made this for you. Likely to surpass any Omega. Rolex like their movements do you not know:).

Now how much have I saved you and the quality? beyond that.

http://www.birthyearwatches.com/c1976-zenith-surf-automatic/

24 minutes ago, Montybaber said:

Im out :laugh:

Oris was the thinking man's choice:yes:. Fab quality in the Aquis, they play a fair game.

I'd go simple date in blue or green.  Friends%20of%20Oris%20Aquis%20Date%20Blu

In fact these shed money faster than a Russian Dictator so 600 used after a month.

Much as I respect Nigel in many things, don't go mid size. If you want a classic pre-owned Omega with sapphire crystal and auto movement then look no further than one of the multitude of the Seamaster Professional 300m range in the 41mm size. Get a spotless Bond, Sword hands (in either electric blue or black) or GMT model and you won't lose a penny in the medium term.

Edited by Padders
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Oris was the thinking man's choice:yes:. Fab quality in the Aquis, they play a fair game.

I'd go simple date in blue or green.  Friends%20of%20Oris%20Aquis%20Date%20Blu

In fact these shed money faster than a Russian Dictator so 600 used after a month.

The OP is now suggesting Tags as an option so i assumed retained value was of little importance :) 

• Like 1