• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Greedo

Bremont Watches

Hi folks,

New on here and was just looking for a bit of advice. Was thinking of getting a Bremont and wondering what the general consensus was as in are the worth the money and are they good watches?

Thanks 

I'll sit back and crack open the popcorn then....

Opinion is divided on the subject.

One line of thought sees a lovely, well put together British made piece of exquisite and unique design. A veritable pleasure to own.

The other sees a hugely overpriced swiss based watch sold to people with money to burn by a pair of public school rotters, brothers, one with a terribly creepy, cheesy grin, far too perfect teeth and the company with a questionable faux histoire and completely untrue claims about their own "in house" movement. They don't half love a Limited Edition though (and Boy, will you pay for it)

You may think that I'm not keen on the brand ? You'd be absolutely 100% correct there my son !

Edited by reggie747
  • Like 2

Nice looking pieces but very expensive.  Wasn't there once a bit of a kerfuffle / PR disaster over a 'made in England' claim of theirs??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krispy said:

Nice looking pieces but very expensive.  Wasn't there once a bit of a kerfuffle / PR disaster over a 'made in England' claim of theirs??

It was the old 'in-house' movement chestnut, when it wasn't really an in-house movement at all. They suffered over that one.

They make some great watches but I get tired of all the bits of 5hite they keep putting in the limited editions, and then charging an extra £2k. Cynical marketing, but nothing any other manufacturer hasn't done. Omega SM300 007 Spectre anyone? :laugh:

• Like 2

Tend to the dislike camp myself. Have often thought they would make a good watch for a non WIS but their national and historical claims ruin it for me.  

Shame really but I'd rather spend money on something else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, it'salivejim said:

It was the old 'in-house' movement chestnut, when it wasn't really an in-house movement at all. They suffered over that one.

Thats the rub though, they apparently sold the bl**din' lot, Turin shroud fabric off cut in and all !!

Next is a fragment of a feather vane from one of the angel Gabriel's wing !

• Like 2

I saw all the in-house noise going on and they got an absolute slating on a few forums.

I see it differently. If you like the watch and you believe it represents good value for you then buy it. Whether you believe all the hype or not is irrelevant if you apply the above test.

If you get it, enjoy it!

Cheers for the comments. Get the impression they're not the best loved company and here and other research have them coming across a bit "fur coat and no knickers"

• Like 1

Their "in house" gaff was epic. They knew that they were being economic with the truth and would have suffered no ignominy if they had just been honest from the beginning (i.e. it was a specially customised Swiss movement).

That said, I'd quite like a Supermarine 500 and their watches do seem to be very well made.

If you were a buyer of one of their early special editions then you made a fantastic investment.

As ever, buy it if you like. They are probably good value second hand in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Greedo said:

Cheers for the comments. Get the impression they're not the best loved company and here and other research have them coming across a bit "fur coat and no knickers"

Bremont produce excellent watches and for a British Company are very innovative, transferring an increasing amount of the production of the watches to the UK, providing jobs, know how etc. They've only been going a few years and their success has been amazing. For sure, there's some bitching on watch forums but in the real World they are going from strength to strength. They're not the cheapest on the market, but you get what you pay for and pretty much anyone who owns a Bremont, as I do, sing a different tune to those who seem to wish the company would fail.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the above. I just sold my used Alt1c and the other day bought a new Alt1 ZT. The buying experience was first class and I love the watch. It feels very good quality and looks the business.

23 hours ago, Greedo said:

Nothing wrong with your last statement in certain circumstances but this is a watch forum so I won't say any more :wacko:

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 04:51, ong said:

Have often thought they would make a good watch for a non WIS. 

Damn, pressed the like button on your post by mistake - lol!

But your statement doesn't really stack up does it? There's many a WIS that owns a Bremont, whether here, on CW or TZ (that's the forums I look at although haven't looked at TZ for yonks). It's also, sorry for this bit, slightly pompous, as if Bremonts are only owned by those who don't really know about watches, which clearly isn't the case either (although I happily admit to being in that category). :biggrin:

I had an MB-II and thought it was a really nice watch. I don't really care about what they said regards inhouse movements, none of that matters (to me anyway) when it's on your wrist. It was a very solid and well made watch, looked a bit different with the orange case insert that can be changed at service if you desire

28 minutes ago, Caller said:

Damn, pressed the like button on your post by mistake - lol!

But your statement doesn't really stack up does it? There's many a WIS that owns a Bremont, whether here, on CW or TZ (that's the forums I look at although haven't looked at TZ for yonks). It's also, sorry for this bit, slightly pompous, as if Bremonts are only owned by those who don't really know about watches, which clearly isn't the case either (although I happily admit to being in that category). :biggrin:

Luckily I've got broad shoulders so won't take exception to my comments being called ineffective and pompous. Maybe Roy should put a dislike button on the site for such occasions ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ong said:

Luckily I've got broad shoulders so won't take exception to my comments being called ineffective and pompous. Maybe Roy should put a dislike button on the site for such occasions ?

Well I didn't say ineffective and I did say 'slightly' pompous. And if you think about it, I was only reacting to your view that such watches aren't really for anyone with any knowledge of watches i.e. a 'WIS', which I don't agree with. Sorry.

• Like 1

I've yet to 'buy into' the maker as a live option for a watch at the price point and I haven't looked closely enough at the watches to have a good awareness of them.  But I have seen a few that I have found stunning looking watches.    

Leaving to one side the Foxton's Estate Agent-style marketing spiel, I do really like Bremonts, especially the Alt1-C and the MBII, but they're all too bloody big. 43mm with no bezel, even with the tidy curved lugs, is going to wear a bit silly on my round 7" wrist. Having said that, I've never tried one on, so maybe I should do so before dismissing them totally from the want list :)