• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
raketawatches

Falling Ruble making Russians very cheap !

A full manufactured automatic Russian Raketa watch that was successfully selling a year ago for USD 1600 is now available for the ones counting in dollars for USD 819. While a Swiss made automatic time keeper sold in Russia, during the same period increased its price from 51 000 Russian rubles to 154 000.

It is now time for foreigners that may have hesitated a year ago, to buy a legendary Russian manufactured watch, as they purchasing power increase along with ruble depreciation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=330237&d=145

Guest Bruce

£516 wow !!! bargain  :rofl: check out eBay :thumbsup:

IMO opinion this is the same as the tactics used by the likes of Invicta and others, think of a number, multiply by 100 add 50 and then add another 100 just for the hell of it, then half and someone will think they are getting a bargain

Edited by Bruce

User name: raketawatches

Advertising: raketawatches

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I'm sure there are no vested interests, that would be a silly leap to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hughlle said:

User name: raketawatches

Advertising: raketawatches

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I'm sure there are no vested interests, that would be a silly leap to make.

It really is them! Welcome back Mr Raketawatches. I do like the Amphibia - how about a discount for RLT members?

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

£516 wow !!! bargain  :rofl: check out eBay :thumbsup:

IMO opinion this is the same as the tactics used by the likes of Invicta and others, think of a number, multiply by 100 add 50 and then add another 100 just for the hell of it, then half and someone will think they are getting a bargain

You'll have a tough time finding the new Amphibias for less than £500 (i.e. impossible). Please don't confuse the old stuff with the new watches that Raketa are making - what they certainly aren't is a trash company like Invicta.

9 minutes ago, Lampoc said:

It really is them! Welcome back Mr Raketawatches. I do like the Amphibia - how about a discount for RLT members?

You'll have a tough time finding the new Amphibias for less than £500 (i.e. impossible). Please don't confuse the old stuff with the new watches that Raketa are making - what they certainly aren't is a trash company like Invicta.

I'm not sayingg it isn't them. But it is clearly just advertising so I'll ignore it as clearly advertising. Of course they'll say now is the time to buy. Hardly an impartial unbiased source of information. 

• Like 1

Guest Bruce
8 minutes ago, Lampoc said:

what they certainly aren't is a trash company like Invicta.

i didn't say they were trash, i am saying they're not worth the what they are advertised at...i mean $1600 last year and now dropped to $816, that sort of crap devalues a product, there are modern Raketas on Ebay, they range from about £150 to £225, those prices IMO are more appropriate, i cant stand watchmakers that suddenly increase the prices of their watches, IMO price hikes have to earned over time, increase quality a bit, increase value a bit and then increase price a bit, but seriously £500+...:nono:

12 minutes ago, Bruce said:

i didn't say they were trash, i am saying they're not worth the what they are advertised at...i mean $1600 last year and now dropped to $816, that sort of crap devalues a product, there are modern Raketas on Ebay, they range from about £150 to £225, those prices IMO are more appropriate, i cant stand watchmakers that suddenly increase the prices of their watches, IMO price hikes have to earned over time, increase quality a bit, increase value a bit and then increase price a bit, but seriously £500+...:nono:

How do you know they're not worth what they're advertised at? Have you handled one? The reduction in price of the watch (I clearly remember it was around £1K when it first came out) is down to the devaluation of the rouble as quite clearly shown in the graph above. The Raketas you are seeing on eBay aren't the new "new" models - more reissues of the older ones. The likes of the Amphibia and Petrodverots Classic are new, quality models with new in-house automatic movements. Raketa even make their own hairsprings. If they drop just below the £500 mark then I'll seriously be considering one.

Edited by Lampoc

18 minutes ago, hughlle said:

I'm not sayingg it isn't them. But it is clearly just advertising so I'll ignore it as clearly advertising. Of course they'll say now is the time to buy. Hardly an impartial unbiased source of information. 

Yeah, it's obviously advertising, I'll give you that. They do make some nice stuff now though.

2 minutes ago, xellos99 said:

Would rather used swiss than new Russian. But then again I would never buy a single Russian product

You're probably in the wrong section of the forum then mate.

2 minutes ago, xellos99 said:

I can have a say anywhere

Apologies - looking back I can see my comment may have come across as a bit harsh. It was supposed to be more "tongue-in-cheek". Seriously though - go get yourself a Vostok Amphibia and see what you're missing out on :biggrin:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lampoc said:

Apologies - looking back I can see my comment may have come across as a bit harsh. It was supposed to be more "tongue-in-cheek". Seriously though - go get yourself a Vostok Amphibia and see what you're missing out on :biggrin:

I can't comment on the new ones, but I have an older one and to be honest I'd rather just have an HMT instead. I do not rate it highly. 

Edit. Ignore this. Getting confused between vostok and raketa :)

Edited by hughlle

Guest Bruce
4 minutes ago, Lampoc said:

How do you know they're not worth what they're advertised at? Have you handled one? The reduction in price of the watch (I clearly remember it was around £1K when it first came out) is down to the devaluation of the rouble as quite clearly shown in the graph above. The Raketas you are seeing on eBay aren't the new "new" models - more reissues of the older ones. The likes of the Amphibia and Petrodverots Classic are new, quality models with new in-house automatic movements. Raketa even make their own hairsprings.

the market place is full of over priced watches from manufacturers trying to squeeze every last penny out of everyone, i dont see Raketa any other way, seriously what makes it worth what they are asking? is it because they have entered the modern world and now use stainless steel and sapphire crystals, just because they make their own main springs what differentiates them for any other watch maker apart from the fact they are made in Russia? jumping from decades old designs and old fashioned materials does not warrant huge prices plus the chances are the cases,crystals etc are probably made in China. reputation,quality and value are what matters to me, but even they dont automatically command rediculous prices. i have a Seiko Sumo it cost me £300, what makes that Raketa worth more? this is my opinion and as a manufacturer Raketa will have to put up with opinions, i am not quite sure why you are so quick to jump to their defense, did you buy one at full price by any chance?

Apologies - looking back I can see my comment may have come across as a bit harsh

No it's ok, I read it wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bruce said:

the market place is full of over priced watches from manufacturers trying to squeeze every last penny out of everyone, i dont see Raketa any other way, seriously what makes it worth what they are asking? is it because they have entered the modern world and now use stainless steel and sapphire crystals, just because they make their own main springs what differentiates them for any other watch maker apart from the fact they are made in Russia? jumping from decades old designs and old fashioned materials does not warrant huge prices plus the chances are the cases,crystals etc are probably made in China. reputation,quality and value are what matters to me, but even they dont automatically command rediculous prices. i have a Seiko Sumo it cost me £300, what makes that Raketa worth more? this is my opinion and as a manufacturer Raketa will have to put up with opinions, i am not quite sure why you are so quick to jump to their defense, did you buy one at full price by any chance?

I'm jumping to their defence because you initially went on the offense with very few facts to hand. Honestly Bruce, you're just coming across as very ignorant on the matter. It's quite obvious you know nothing about the brand and have just automatically assumed that because they're Russian and you can buy knackered, 30-plus year old Raketas on eBay for pennys, that these new ones are overpriced. What makes anything worth more than another watch. Is a Rolex worth 10 times more than your Sumo. Perhaps your Sumo is a total rip-off compared to my Vostok. Who knows?

Finally, no I don't own a modern Raketa but I would seriously consider one.

Edited by Lampoc

Guest Bruce

I'm jumping to their defence because you initially went on the offense with very few facts to hand. Honestly Bruce, you're just coming across as very ignorant on the matter. It's quite obvious you know nothing about the brand and have just automatically assumed that because they're Russian and you can buy knackered, 30-plus year old Raketas on eBay for pennys, that these new ones are overpriced. What makes anything worth more than another watch. Is a Rolex worth 10 times more than your Sumo. Perhaps your Sumo is a total rip-off compared to my Vostok. Who knows?

Finally, no I don't own a modern Raketa but I would seriously consider one.

firstly there is no need to call me ignorant because i express an opinion, i could say the same to you, but i wouldn't as you also are expressing an opinion

i went on the offensive because somebody logged in here with the express purpose of selling...no other reason, i was under the impression TWF was not a sales outlet for any manufacturer

i do not like any watch manufacturers with delusions of grandeur, yes raketa have a long long history, but its only recently they caught up with the modern world in regards manufacturing methods and materials, there is rumours their cases are of Asian origin, nothing wrong with that, but charge accordingly, i am also well aware of their "in house movements" and the fact they make their own balance springs, Seiko and Citizen do the same, the seiko NH35 has a new "in house" balance spring AND main spring,their movements are also "in house" i can buy an NH35 for £22 + vat, does putting that movement in a case make a watch worth over £500? i dont think it does, Citizens new 9015 is up there with the best, i can buy one for £44, i have a watch with one fitted, it beats any Raketa hands down in every respect, it did not cost over £500 new, Just because a manufacturer does some glossy online pictures and says how wonderful their products are does not add value to their watches. to me there is no justification for last years $1600 and this years $800.

i have no doubt in my mind Raketa make fine watches, they had to keep up with the rest of the world after all, but that in itself does not add value, all they are trying to do is add the perception of value though high prices, unfortunately some will fall for it , i wont.

my Sumo is not a ripoff and i DO know that, it is made by a manufacturer that has consistently made ONLY quality products, they have proven so time after time

as i have said, this is my opinion based on what i have read and experienced over the years, i am not ignorant and if i am wrong i am more than happy to be proven so as this means i have learnt something

5 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I can buy an NH35 for £22 + vat, does putting that movement in a case make a watch worth over £500? i dont think it does

So much for my Seiko 5 retirement plan :sadwalk:

• Like 2

Guest Bruce
Just now, hughlle said:

So much for my Seiko 5 retirement plan :sadwalk:

sorry Hugh, i can lend you a Ferret if that helps :yes:

5 minutes ago, Bruce said:

sorry Hugh, i can lend you a Ferret if that helps :yes:

Has it been trained to wind and set watches? That is something I believe I could market! The business could then expand to ferrets trained to pick out your daily watch based on the weather. Patent pending! 

• Like 1

Guest Bruce
1 minute ago, hughlle said:

Has it been trained to wind and set watches? That is something I believe I could market! The business could then expand to ferrets trained to pick out your daily watch based on the weather. Patent pending! 

i shall ask my youngest daughter, she is head trainer..........you may be onto something, but then again .................:laugh:

1 hour ago, Lampoc said:

How do you know they're not worth what they're advertised at? Have you handled one? The reduction in price of the watch (I clearly remember it was around £1K when it first came out) is down to the devaluation of the rouble as quite clearly shown in the graph above. The Raketas you are seeing on eBay aren't the new "new" models - more reissues of the older ones. The likes of the Amphibia and Petrodverots Classic are new, quality models with new in-house automatic movements. Raketa even make their own hairsprings. If they drop just below the £500 mark then I'll seriously be considering one.

Because Bruce knows what he is talking about. I doubt anyone on here would dispute that Mr Lampoc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lampoc said:

Invicta are variable.......they do some good cheap autos with Seiko movements......but have hugely inflate rrp.

23799689879_cd63495ea6_b.jpg

Seik auto, solid bracet.........under 100

2 hours ago, Lampoc said:

Invicta are variable.......they do some good cheap autos with Seiko movements......but have hugely inflate rrp.

23799689879_cd63495ea6_b.jpg

Seik auto, solid bracet.........under 100

• Like 2

Guest Bruce

invicta do make some very good watches, unfortunately they have their haters, you could present to them a very good swiss made one [ there are some] and they would still turn up their noses